• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98' Sport pass side electric window CTL INOP

WB9YZU

NAXJA Forum User
I figured I'd share my repair. The passenger side switch has been inoperable for some time, but the controls on the drivers side work normally.

Someone in another thread suggested that the drivers side control was the issue.

I had some time today, and removed the door panel ( 3 Philips screws, pull off panel, detach the lock and lever rods, and disconnect the connectors on the switch assembly). Then I removed the control assembly from the panel ( 3 more Phillips screws).

Once I had the assembly out, I looked at the wiring diagram in section 8w of the FSM. The diagram indicates that drivers side control powers the motor for the passenger side on C1 (lower connector). These wires are in parallel with the pass side control leads to the motor, but that power to the passenger side control comes from C2 (upper connector). I used an voltmeter to check for voltage on the connector C2 to the pass side control and found it missing.

Since I was already into things, I dissembled the control assembly ( Remove lower 4 buttons, remove the 6 screws in the back, and with a small stright screwdriver, unlatch the plastic catches around the circumfrance of the cover escutcheon) which exposed the circuit board. As I kinda suspected, there was a broken and oxidized solder connection on C2 next to the pass side control lock out switch.

I re-soldered connector C2, and plugged it in to test... It WORKED!

It's all assembled now, and still works great. If someone has this issue with their Jeep and wants to save the cost of a switch assembly, this is a good item to look for.

Ron

Do you have pics of the area you soldered? Sounds like an easy fix, but I didn't think the switch housing came apart.

I went the simple route of jumping past the bad circuit. I regained power to my passenger window but lost the lock-out function on the master switch. Now that I have a little Jeeper on board, I wouldn't mind getting my lock-out back.

dsc04535.jpg

I had a similar problem of all the power windows not working from the door panels except the drivers side switch. I took off the door panel and then then switch similar to you. All i ended up having to do was clean the contact points and now everything works great, nice find though if it goes out again

Do you have pics of the area you soldered? Sounds like an easy fix

Please!! It would be AWESOME to have pics to go with this thread!!

Thanks guys ... just got another Cherokee with electric windows. The passenger side and back windows would only work from the drivers side control. A simple search and I find this thread. My windows work fine now. I love this site!

Les

Back