• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Piston Slap or Exhaust Leak?

huh, ive never heard of that or experienced it that way. ive had 2 diff exhaust leaks one started from a barely loose coupler while totally warm and my xj now has one 1.5 in. long crack in the header and the exhause leak is always there. there should be no reason for the exhaust leak to quiet down if its got air flowing through it should make the sound in my thinking.

Last edited:
huh, ive never heard of that or experienced it that way. ive had 2 diff exhaust leaks one started from a barely loose coupler while totally warm and my xj now has one 1.5 in. long crack in the header and the exhause leak is always there. there should be no reason for the exhaust leak to quiet down if its got air flowing through it should make the sound in my thinking.

Yea it's not like metal expands at all after it warms up right? :kissyou:

well i kinda just assumed by my wee little 2 experiences but mines got a hair line crack right on the header and its always there. drives me nuts but i gotta take the heat shield and fuel rail out to get to it which means doing that at an exhaust shop which im a bit lazy to do right now.

Yeah, sounds like an exhaust leak. I just did my manifold: it would start REALLY bad and then get tolerable. It was cracked all the way around #4 and #5 where they are welded to the log. You could get underneath and try to see it smoking- works better when it's cold outside.

I drove it around a lot today. The noise doesn't go away when it's warm like I thought. It is loud as hell under acceleration and is "quieter" when not. I'm thinking it's an exhaust leak because I'm pretty sure I can hear the engine rev smoothly behind the noise.
I'll try to get a sound/video clip of it under acceleration.

Under acceleration the engine is rotated and opens the crack because the crossover pipe doesn't rotate with the engine.
Noise presence will be dependent on crack location and temperature. It is not dependent on the failure mechanism, that is why sometimes it shows up after warming up or disappears after warming up. It is also common for the failure mechanism to be the same between vehicles causing repeatable symptoms. I thing you are both right.

Back