• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2K Alternator upgrade Q's

dirtweazle

NAXJA Forum User
I am upgrading my alt and wiring tonight and tomorrow. Got alt out and it's a little different form the new one. (See pic) Old is on right and new is on left. New has an external connection where the old has a socket. Can I adapt/splice? New is a external regulated 56027913. Old is from a 2000. P/N 56041822AA internally regulated. Got specs here: http://www.vicic.com.tw Valuable site.. Any help? Q

Question is can i just splice the lines to run the external regulator? Just splice the striped wire with each and the solid to each other? Will this work?

Why would you want to replace the '00 XJ alternator with an external (ECU regulated) voltage regulator with an internal regulated alternator?
This would require you modify the field wiring and a few others and that assumes the alternator would bolt in without modication.

Almost 2 years ago I replaced the 117A alternator on my'98 XJ with a 136A alternator from a '98 5.2L Grand Cherokee 4x4.
This modification requires you massage the factory alternator mounts to accomodate the larger alternator case, rotate the charging terminal insulator boot 90* and swap the pulley from the XJ to the ZJ alternator.

This is what i was trying to do. Got it form a Dakota v8. Same P/N. I got the correct P/N alt form the junk yard and it has the external regulator on its back. I figured virtually PNP. guess not. Can this one work or no? What do I need to do?

I think you need to drop back and punt this one.

Back