• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie Locker Help ASAP

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I am in the middle of installing an aussie in the d30 of my 98 XJ. It is all assembled, but the big pin that goes through the center of the whole carrier is very loose in the center hole of the locker. Is this normal? Im torn apart in the garage right now and trying to find out so we can put it back together. Thanks!

I am in the middle of installing an aussie in the d30 of my 98 XJ. It is all assembled, but the big pin that goes through the center of the whole carrier is very loose in the center hole of the locker. Is this normal? Im torn apart in the garage right now and trying to find out so we can put it back together. Thanks!

That how it works!Your driving direction causes the pin to "cam" into the side gear closing the gap at the ratchet gear.

Got a hold of Aussie even on a weeknd, talk about good customer service!

So the pin that held the spider gears is supposed to be able to move forwards and backwards, and in doing so helps put pressure against the side gears?

Just seemed odd to have that much play when every thing ele seems to have such tight tolerances. Every measurement needed is within spec to the tight side, though.

Did you reuse the thrust washers that were behind the two side gears? You need to transfer them from the old side gears to the Aussie parts. This could be the souce of the slop you are referring to.

Yes I reused the thrust washers. Im talking about the hole in the center of the locker that the pin that used to hold the spider gears in place. There is lots of room around the pin, even with the locker "ratcheting". But if the pin was any larger in diameter it would be too tight against the center spacers inside the locker. All measurements they said to take were perfectly within spec, and the Aussie tech support said thats how its supposed to be so we will see. Its back together now. :dunno:

Back