• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear defroster problem

nickolas

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 Cherokee with an electrical problem. The #14 fuse is blown which I believe is for the rear defroster, but the light on the defroster switch is lit up every time the Jeep is running. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the defroster or have had this same problem that can help me out? I unplugged the switch and removed the fuse but I am still draining the battery. It has to be a short because I can go from a fully charged battery to less than a volt within 24 hours and I need to fix this asap. I have also noticed when I do get it charged and I drive it the volt gauge never goes above about 13 volts. Thanks for the help.

Looking at the FSM page 8W-10-10, Fuse 10 (in cab junction box) xontrols power to REAR RINDOW DEFOGGER RELAY. That's the realy in the lowest position on the juntion box (in cab). Page 8W-48-3 shows that power to the heater element is not fused. Power to the element is controlled by REAR RINDOW DEFOGGER RELAY. Pull that relay and you SHOULD remove power to the heater element. Check the relay and verify pins 30 to 87 are open (not shorted). I'm assumind the diagram I'm looking at is calling out relay pin #'s.

EDIT: FMS for 99 XJ

Last edited:
Looked at FSM again, Fuse 14 feeds Passenger Mirror and Driver Mirror defrost and the Defogger ON Indicator. Note this line will only be ON if Rear Window Defogger Relay is ON (Pin 30 shorted to Pin 87).

I removed the #14 fuse, and the relay for the rear defroster, unplugged the defroster grid and checked the connector that plugs into the defroster switch, and all 4 wires are grounded. Can someone post which wires go where for me please, I cant find a wire diagram.
Pin numbers from switch are
4-black
3-blue/white
2-light blue/yellow
1-orange

Back