• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans cooler lines dont look right

greengoblin97

NAXJA Forum User
ok i im going to be installing a tranny cooler. but my lines dont match where there exposed to be. in the pic the clor lines are how the factory says there exposed to be. and in the yellow boxes is where mine are conected at. so wich ones are right?
transcooler.jpg

I'm going to bet you're getting crossed-up tracing them out. The hot fluid is pumped to the upper fitting, then gravity helps. Not saying that Detroit's (or Toledo's) Quality Control wouldn't allow a mix-up, but I don't think the parts would reach the wrong places. If I'm thinking correctly, the hot, pressure hose is one piece to a coupling somewhere under the lower pulley, and the cooler, return line's coupling is in a slightly different place. Not sure with the factory cooler, though, as ours all have larger, aftermarket coolers on them. If yours is a '97, you're probably due to change the hot line, where it goes from steel to rubber. Ours have all needed this replaced, and as far as I know, the Stealer is the only source. If you notice one is juicier than the other, that's the line going TO the radiator.

i double checked them and mine dont match the diagram so i take it ill have to disconect one of the lines and see what way the fluid goes then and why did you have to replac your line

I thought one of the fittings on My 89 (the top) was a thread in and the one on the bottom is a compression fitting (like the fuel inlet line)

Yours has the same fittings on both?

thats a common failure point, the lines get chewed up, and they get moved once replaced.

sounds like its flowing backwards in the radiator, does anyone see a problem with this?

i talked to a guy that owns a 97 and his are the same way as mine are so thanks for the input i guess ill have to un hook a line and and see what way the fluid flows

On most vehicles, with side tank radiators like the XJ has (vertical internal tranny cooler), the hot fluid from the tranny enters the internal rad cooler at the lower rad fitting and the cooled tranny fluid exits the internal rad cooler at the upper rad fitting. This allows for easier/better removal of air from the tranny fluid lines when reconnected as any air in the lines naturally flows in an upward direction.

It's always a good idea to run disconnected tranny lines to a catch can just to make sure which way the fluid flows.

Just FYI: My 88 is plumbed like the pic above and has a factory aux cooler.

Back