• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Gear install problem

Droopy76

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got around to installing the gears in my turdy. My problem is when I went to check the pattern I noticed that there is a tight spot in the ring gear when I turn the pinion by hand. I checked the pattern 180* apart and it's too close on the tight side and the pinion is too far away on the other side. The gears are new 4.56's from motive and I installed a new carrier too. My question is, do you think the ring gear or the carrier is warped? Or could it be something else? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Droopy

Did you clean the carrier and ring gear thoroughly? Inspect for any metal particles that could screw up the mating?

I would mark their relationship to each other, disassemble and check. If you can't find anything, rotate 180 degrees from the first marks and reassemble and check again.

I was about sick to my stomach with it today so we quit on it. I'm gonna go work on it tomorrow, so I'll take the ring gear back off and check it.

Thanks

Droopy

Well, it should be easy enough to check. Use the your dial indicator to check the runout on the flange the ring gear bolts to, and then on the ring gear itself. That will tell you what is giving you the problem.

Check for burrs around the bolt holes in the carrier. I frequently have to take a flat file to the ring gear mating surface on carriers. Also make sure it is all very clean. The D30 carrier is not all that strong and I can see where dropping it or something while there are no guts in it could warp it.

Ditto on all the above!What method did you use to install the ring gear?Also you want to take a file to the ring gear itself.

I did some more checking today. I turned the ring gear 180* in relation to the carrier. Same problem. So I removed the ring gear and got out the dial indicator. The carrier has about 50 thousands runout. I guess it was screwed up when it was cast. Anyways I hope it has some kind of warranty. If not I guess I'll have to order another one. Thanks for the help guy's

Droopy

I did some more checking today. I turned the ring gear 180* in relation to the carrier. Same problem. So I removed the ring gear and got out the dial indicator. The carrier has about 50 thousands runout. I guess it was screwed up when it was cast. Anyways I hope it has some kind of warranty. If not I guess I'll have to order another one. Thanks for the help guy's

Droopy
Man, that's alot of runout. I bet someone dropped it somewhere along the line.

The carrier bearings were fully seated and torqued. I put the tip of the dial indicator against the ring gear mounting surface. I guess that would be lateral runout. You would think if it were dropped there would be some marks or dents in it somewhere, but it looks fine. Who knows? I just hope National will replace it.:mad:

Back