• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pro Comp 3" Lift Kit?? Anyone Use it??

wbarber

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting a Pro Comp 3" Lift kit for pretty cheap, and was wanting to know if anyone has used it before or has heard anything bad about it. I am getting the 3" with the mx-6 shocks. I am new to the xj world, but am wanting to do things right the first time and not spend money on junk, but this is my daily driver, and will haul a boat in summer time, so don't want to go too high. Any comments and help are welcome. Thanks.

I have a procomp 3" lift kit sitting in the back of my truck.

I had a hard time giving it away. Add another brand adjustable trackbar to your list, and then count on swapping out the springs front and rear later, maybe all 4 control arms, add some extended brake lines..

cal said:
I have a procomp 3" lift kit sitting in the back of my truck.

I had a hard time giving it away. Add another brand adjustable trackbar to your list, and then count on swapping out the springs front and rear later, maybe all 4 control arms, add some extended brake lines..
I had that procomp lift to. One word, JUNK. I can't give it away either. The front springs are too stiff, the rear add-a-leafs was to short to properly support the spring pack too. Ruined my stock rear spring pack and made it S shaped. The trackbar relocation bracket hung down low and had crappy geometry. The resulting ride was very harsh and bumpsteer was a big problem.

With that said go take a look at rubicon express. They have flexy coils and offer a full length add-a-leaf that will ride better than the projunk kit. You can also easily upgrade this kit by buying an adjustable trackbar or a full leaf pack. IMHO shop around and compare the parts and quality of them. Don't buy the projunky riding suspension.

Thanks guys, i appriciate it, i will check into the rubicon express, and keep you updated. Thanks.

i currently have that lift and will definitely say it was a WASTE. I cant wait to upgrade to something better. i would never recommend it to anyone, i just wish i had found this site before i got the lift.

rockclimbingpyro said:
i currently have that lift and will definitely say it was a WASTE. I cant wait to upgrade to something better. i would never recommend it to anyone, i just wish i had found this site before i got the lift.
Me too :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::laugh:

well damn, I am glad I posted this, I would have expected it to be atleast decent, since the kit costs like $600 with the mx shocks, not even close to what I was going to pay. Seems that sometimes you don't get what you pay for...

Pro copm is amazing what are you guys talking about?! lol Yea...everyone i know calls it pro crap... I heard the tires suck too.

I heard thay Procrap bought Rubicon Express. Any truth to that? Hopefully they won't mess with the golden gosse there.

Just my .02

I have had the 3 in (front) with LCA's and trac bar relo bracket, and the AAL 2.5 in the rear.

The front I have no issues with at all, they are alot more flexy than I thought they would, but i do not drive this on road at all so I cannot attest to there on road manners.

The rear is garbage, but what AAL isn't.

But I only paid $375 including shocks. For a starter lift I think its fine, but I'm currently saving my bucks for a TnT Ylink system.

The front springs are decent, but the rest is junk. Like was commented before on the rear springs mine too are now shot. If I only knew now then I would have went RE with replacement rear springs. When I was looking at lifts I even had the choice between the two. I chose the Procrap 'cause I liked the hammertone finish, and the darker color paint used. Someone should put a foot in my ass for that one.

XJCreeper said:
I heard thay Procrap bought Rubicon Express. Any truth to that? Hopefully they won't mess with the golden gosse there.

Are you maybe thinking "4Wheel Parts & Performence" (Procrap is there inhouse brand) bought out "4Wheel Drive Hardware"? That would be true.

kewlkatdady said:
The rear is garbage, but what AAL isn't.

exactly.

I also have the AAL and am running it in conjunction with 2" lift blocks.
..no real problems.. no axle wrap unless im being a jerk and stomp the pedal.
but thats just dumb. i would never run just the AAL though...

cant say i bought it for the hammer paint though, lol...
drop track bar bracket is fine for me for now... ...although i planning on doing the right thing with an adj.

what it boils down to for me is that this lift was great for teaching me what lifting a vehicle is about, and has worked fine for my first lift. i havent had any experiances with other lifts, so maybe i dont know what im missing, but i have had no problems on my 97. no need for SYE, not a single vibe. coming from driving 77-85 dodge pick ups, i liked how this lift made my jeep handle on road a lot more 'truck like'

what else... hmmm.... oh yeah im at work with a 6pm deadline. so what in the heck am in on naxja for?

addiction...

i had this thing. the only parts left are the lower control arms with diff bushings. Although if you get an ajustable tracbar the kit is alright for street driving. It will ride stiff. That tracbar relocation bracket was the piece that pissed me off the most.

scoobyxj said:
The front springs are decent, but the rest is junk. Like was commented before on the rear springs mine too are now shot. If I only knew now then I would have went RE with replacement rear springs. When I was looking at lifts I even had the choice between the two. I chose the Procrap 'cause I liked the hammertone finish, and the darker color paint used. Someone should put a foot in my ass for that one.

Are you maybe thinking "4Wheel Parts & Performence" (Procrap is there inhouse brand) bought out "4Wheel Drive Hardware"? That would be true.

I have replaced everything exept the front springs. I put is a full leaf pack and replaced the lower control arms. I diched the shocks too and bought Ranco RS 9000's at the time of the sale.

Yup, completely unsatisfied with the procomp lift, crap and garbage, the only thing I am still running is the front coils, until I can get some better ones. My kit came with front coils,end links,rear adda leafs(crap),and shocks. Did I get short changed?I guess you get what you pay for.

Wait 'till the front shock bushings go south, and the rear springs start sagging.

DSCF1227.jpg

Back