• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone using an "AP Exhaust" brand muffler ? (MSL Maximum or TurboPack)

MikeESoc2

NAXJA Forum User
Re: my '87 XJ 4.0L:

The AP Exhaust direct-fit "MSL Maximum" muffler (part # 700045, $25.79 via Rockauto) appears to have an interesting "patented" internal-triple tube "Single Cartridge" design:
http://www.apexhaust.com/product_pages/singlecartridge.asp

The internal triple-tube "Single Cartridge" design looks to be interesting
because it looks somewhat like a parallel triple-tube "straight-thru" design
(possibly minimizing back-pressure with OE 2.25" diameter pipe).

AP also has a muffler that looks like a single-pipe-thru glasspack,
but instead it has a dual-pipe-thru
- they call it a "TurboPack" muffler.

I tried to contact AP Exhaust today but they were closed.

I'll contant them next-week to find out if 1 of these 2 "TurboPack" Muffler part#s is direct-fit clamp-on as a replacement for "MSL Maximum" # 700045
- either TurboPack
#4218112 (4" dia, 18" shell length, 25" overall length, 2 1/4" input+output dia pipe with mild/mild offset angles);
#4218122 (4" dia, 18" shell length, 25" overall length, 2 1/4" input+output dia pipe with full/full offset angles).

I currently have a Dynomax Ultra-flo Welded on the '87 XJ for the past ~ 7 years but I'm looking for something different, and I don't see it as a problem if I go from a 2.5" catback to OE 2.25"...
... I just want it flow somewhat better than OE and make a little noise (so that deer will tend to not jump-out in front when I drive down side-roads at night-time).

And before I had the Dynomax Ultra-flo Welded on the '87XJ I had the Dynomax Super-Turbo on for a number of years ... so I don't want to go with the Super-Turbo again (regardless that there's currently a nice $75 rebate from Walker).... plus... from what I remember, the Super Turbo is not loud enough @ ~ 1500 RPM to be a noise heads-up for deer along the road.

Back