• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing engine, need help

kybray44

NAXJA Forum User
Got a new engine and installed, yet forget to mark the TC and flywheel. Now I am having a hell of a time trying to get the bolts to line up for the TC. Any one have any ideas? Thanks

You just have to keep trying new positions till it fits right. It sucks but its the only way I know of.

It seemed to me though that on my 89 when everything fit properly there was a number 10 thats printed on the torque convertor, it was just right of center when it all lined up.

Luckily I marked mine.:looney:

BTW have fun puttin that sucker back in there, its a bit of a pita.

Pull it off, turn it and put it back on.

Rotate your motor tio near TDC and look for the numbers on your TC, put that number just right of center and see if that gets it.

The engine is in the jeep now? Im not sure then.

We pulled the motor marked the TC and flexplate, swapped flexplate then rebolted the TC on and put it back in as a unit. It was a pain to get the splines lined up but we eventually got it.

Thats the only way I know I wish I knew an easier way but it seems the motor may have to come back out.

Yup pulled it as a unit and replaced it as a unit. Just had to be carful of the crossmember under the radiator and angle it in.

We had the radiator etc out of the jeep already.

Well, technically the "flywheel" in your case is a "flexplate".

The critical issue in what you are doing is to make sure that the torque converter is fully seated in the front of the transmission as the torque converter has to lock into the front pump of the transmission and be fully seated or the torque converter, or the transmission, or both will be damaged during assembly to the engine.

IF the torque converter is fully seated then all you have to do is rotate things until the flexplate and torque converter line up. This is best accomplished with the spark plugs removed from the engine, then you can use a pry bar in the "teeth" of the flexplate to rotate the engine (much easier to do when there is no compression) until things line up.

Good luck.

Like I said it was really hard getting it to line up right. after we initially got the motor back in I put the trans in N and rotated the motor with a 3/4 inch wrench to get the TC to seat correctly.

Then walked the engine back with the large bolts tightened them down and she was good to go.

There was some cursing of the world involved but we got it in.

I can see how difficult it would be to get everything lined up once things are in place, however I bet it made it MUCH easier to get the motor in.

The TC should be locked up with the trans (I think) and you should be able to move the flexplate freely with a prybar as suggested. Just watch the holes come around at the bottom (near the starter) and line them up one at a time as they come around.

At least thats the way my monkey mind would do it. However Im one of those BFH and heat type mechanics lol.

Anyone else put this thing in as a unit, or am I the only one?

WAIT. You screwed up.

The torque converter is NOT like a clutch and cannot be bolted to the engine and then brought into the transmission. You now most likely have broken the oil pump gears in the transmission.

The ONLY way to do this is unbolt the converter from the engine, put it in the bellhousing and keep wiggling, rotating, and gently pushing until it sits all the way in. It will drop in 3 or 4 different sets of splines.

You will know when it's seated all the way when once the engine and trans are bolted solidly together, the converter will need to slide back forward again slightly to reach the flexplate.

Sorry.

Reading this thread again, stockli if everything worked when you were done you are the luckiest sob alive. You should have bought a lottery ticket that day. Now I'm not sure how the OP did the install, if it was done CORRECTLY with the TC already fully seated, it is a simple 4 hole pattern and should bolt up in any of the 4 possibilities. If you did like stockli, odds are you're screwed.

Back