• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Checking out a 1986 MJ - 4Cyl, 5spd Long bed - what should I be worried about?

01XJLIMITED

NAXJA Forum User
Looks a bit rough, but that's ok. Primer paintjob, aftermarket wheels, looks like 30'son them. might have a budget boost, less than 100k miles. 4 cyl, 5 spd.

What should I be checking for most on a vehicle of this vintage that I might consider purchasing? Are there danger areas from a frame perspective? I'd expect some rust, but I don't want a taco.

What might a rough 86 MJ like this be worth, as a ballpark?

Clutch master and slave cylinders were prone to failure. If you find you have a clutch hydraulic problem, be sure to replace both cylinders and the hose between them. Hard to price this old stuff. I bought an 86 MJ with 69K miles on it from the original owner for $1000.

Check for rust.

Is it 4wd or 2wd?

If it's 4wd, I'd go for it if it's rust free.

You might be more happy with a 6 cyl rather than the 4 cyl.

Check for rust around the rear wheel wells and the floor pans. Those are the two most common places for rust to happen.

The bed actually sits on a boxed frame, so check for rust where the frame meets the cab; apparently they can rust pretty severly there too.

Back