• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hobart 140 or Lincoln 140?

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
so im getting ready to buy a welder here soon. I want to stay with a 110 because I want to have to wire the garage up for 220. So should I go with the hobart 140 or the Lincoln 140? I have the lincoln 140 at school and use it alot and love it, never had a problem with it and lincolns products are great. Hobart on the other hand I dont know very much about. Ive read about the 140 being a pretty good welder but I havent had any experience with it. So just looking for some feedback.

Im pretty much in the same boat. I was looking at getting the hobart 180 until i found out it would be no less then 600 bucks to get my garage wired for 220...so that kind of ruined that plan

tractor supply in my town has the hobart 140 with regulator, and a few other accessories for around 450, and lowes has a similar weld pack with the lincoln for around 580. not sure which one im gonna go with yet. Hobart stuff has been getting pretty good reviews, but I like the idea of having a lincoln and being able to go to any welding shop and easily find tips and other consumables for it

hobart max rating is 1/4, while the lincoln is 5/16s. most of the stuff ill be using this welder for is setting up link systems, and other thicker stuff, so ideally a larger machine is what I need, but with my constraints i think its gonna have to be a 110 machine

Hobart is made by Miller. You wont have any trouble finding any parts. I would choose a Hobart over a lincoln anyday, simply because its a miller machine.

~ James

lowes has a similar weld pack with the lincoln for around 580.

DONT buy the lowes/home depot versions!! theyre a crappier version of the regular lincolns made just for those stores. some internal parts are different and different quailty. the store models use tapped voltage settings. Welding supply stores and such will have continuous voltage settings. Continuous allows you to fine tune your settings depending on what youre welding. tapped means youre stuck with 5 or 7 specific voltages settings.

IIRC most of the lincoln 140's are setup for tapped whereas the hobart/miller 140's are continuous.

I highly recommand you look at the Miller 211 MVP. Allows you run on either 110 OR 220. Anyone whos buying a welder and only has 110 available should think about it. Now, down the line, if/when you decide to get 220, youre machine is already ready!!! theyre a badass machine too, my buddy just got one and it welded my 5/16" thick truss to 1/2" thick axle tubes like butter.

http://www.airgas.com/browse/product.aspx?Msg=RecID&recIds=65255&WT.svl=65255

DONT buy the lowes/home depot versions!! theyre a crappier version of the regular lincolns made just for those stores. some internal parts are different and different quailty. the store models use tapped voltage settings. Welding supply stores and such will have continuous voltage settings. Continuous allows you to fine tune your settings depending on what youre welding. tapped means youre stuck with 5 or 7 specific voltages settings.
Just look at the model number a 140c is continuous a 140T is tap.
I just bought a 180c myself. Lincoln has a 75$ rebate thing going on right now

Damn I was looking forward to the read but my govy comp keeps freezing at that site.

My service panel doesn't have any more room for breakers. Don't really want to add being that it's a rental back to the extension cord plan.

I'm thinking of getting a Hobart 140. Any place in particular you suggest for the best price? Northern Tool looks pretty good. $479 w/free shipping might be hard to beat.

Get the Millermatic 211, really nice machine that you will not have to upgrade later. It runs on 120v or 220v. I got the lincoln 180 and it works good, but I want to upgrade to the lincoln 255 or the miller 252. Spend a lil more money the first time, saves in the long run. If your a beginner the millermatic 211 also has a autoset, makes welding very easy

Unfortunately $950+ is not in the budget at the moment. For what I'll be doing, the Hobart 140 will be more than enough. Anything heavier I can tack up and have it burned in by someone with a bigger machine.

I'm thinking of getting a Hobart 140. Any place in particular you suggest for the best price? Northern Tool looks pretty good. $479 w/free shipping might be hard to beat.

ToolKing has factory recertified ones for just over $400. They come with the same warranty as new ones.

Thanks for the tip. I just checked ToolKing and I couldn't find it (but they do have a good price on a plasma cutter :) ), so maybe they are out at the moment. But if they charge shipping, then it's probably starting to get really close to Northern Tool's price of $479 for the new one.

Thanks for the tip. I just checked ToolKing and I couldn't find it (but they do have a good price on a plasma cutter :) ), so maybe they are out at the moment. But if they charge shipping, then it's probably starting to get really close to Northern Tool's price of $479 for the new one.

Interesting. They must be out right now or something. I just got mine a couple weeks ago. It might be worth a call to them to see what the deal is. When I got mine, they had a coupon code for free shipping. (I think it was SNOW at the time.) I had to pay sales tax because ToolKing is in Colorado.

Just got a Hobart 140 on Saturday from Northern. Was looking at either the 187 or the 140 and went to my local Northen store for some hardware, and they had a "Demo Day" going on, a Hobart rep was there and they had 10% off. After talking with the rep he felt the 140 would be fine, and more portable if I need to help a friend out at a different location without 220.

With the 10% off I made the decision then and there which saved me $48 on something I would have purchased soon anyway. Also a co-worker has been happy with the 140 and the reviews at Northern is 193 of 193 would recommend to a friend.

Only used it once so far, and the flux core wire it came with worked well. I will get gas for it eventually.

So i think i am finally going to order the 140 tomorrow from amazon, I was going to get the 187 but i just cant seem to set aside that amount of cash and i would need about $350 in electrical upgrades (main breaker is 80+ ft away)

So i got started on the new bumper today and i really like the way the HH 140 welds.

welding 1/4 plates for a new bumper, Going to pick up a gas tank tomorrow for it. Then i gotta make the bumper sides.

I love how easy it is to weld the thick stuff now and even without gas it is pretty clean welds.

4613112355_d16158fafd_b.jpg

Full frame tie in
4613732392_eab913d8df_b.jpg

4613738402_15b76b827f_b.jpg

4613124187_139271d9ba_b.jpg

Back