• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ front leaf spring box stiffners

CanMan

NAXJA Forum User
I made these up a while back. Planned on putting them on Alex's rig but just never found time to do so. So, they went on mine. They are quite simple to install, just cleaning of the sheetmetal is what takes some time.
Started off by removing the tire to gain better access.

Randoms003.jpg

Supported the axle, removed the shock at the axle, and the leaf spring bolt. Floor jack would be fine if done on the ground.

Randoms004.jpg

Pulled the spring down and supported it from going back up with a chunk of 2x4.

Randoms005.jpg

Here are the templates I made. Notice that the bolt hole is not drilled out, as that is something that will need to be done later on.

Randoms006.jpg

To lessen sanding down of paint, undercoating, and zinc, set peices in place and mark where they will be welded, and sand down.

Randoms007.jpg

Tack welded on the main braces, front, side, and rear. Make sure to burn these in completly before going any further. If you dont have a plasma cutter, mark out the leaf spring bolt hole and drill out before any welding.

Randoms008.jpg

Randoms009.jpg

Note the hole in the floorpan. Make sure everything on the INSIDE of the Jeep is out of the way before applying mass amount of heat. In this case, there was a bottle of gear oil.

Randoms012.jpg

Randoms013.jpg

Now that the 3 pieces are welded in, add the rear gusset and burn in.

Randoms015.jpg

Add the front gussets now. I spaced mine out 1.500", due to the fact I want to do a Jeepspeed style frame stiffner, and the tube goes between the 2 gussets.

Randoms014.jpg

Randoms017.jpg

Randoms019.jpg

I used the plasma cutter to burn through the hole on the inside of the box. Drilled out to 9/16", to match the size of the hole in the stock leaf spring box.

Randoms020.jpg

Apply some paint, and reassemble, and do the same on the other side.

Why did you reinforce the front shackle box?

They seem to get hammered on rocks and whatnot, and ive seen them seperate from the 'frame' and floorpan w/ a heavy axle and wheel/tire combo.

I do notice a slight gap on one side of mine, something I'll have to take care of soon I think. I was thinking of getting rid of the stock all together and replaceing with something beefy that sandwiches the floor, and tie it into my stiffeners. Your idea looks pretty easy and straightforward

I did something similar... but only braced the front of the box which does tie into my rock sliders.... I will be cutting it off and redoing the rockers (removal of more rot) and I'll post pics here... My mounts were pushing through the floor, there is 3/16" and 1/4" plate tied to the 1/8" rockers... I wanted to keep my "crush zones" hehe

Back