• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

when does a lift require shims?

It really depend on to many variations in how you accomplished your lift.Best theory would be to measure the angles after installing any lift and go from there!

When does a lift require shims? When it's high enough to cause vibes.

yep

how much can you lift the jeep before an axle shim is required?

It depends on what kind of driveshaft you are running. If you are not running a double cardan shaft, and have too much lift and are getting vibes, shims are not the solution, neither is a longer driveshaft.

Proper setup for a slip spline shaft:

04.gif

Spicer Recommends 3 degrees Maximum

Also notice the proper geometry is to have the transfer case output and axle exactly parallel
For the scenario above, you're basically pooched if you go too high. You'll need a double cardan and shims.

If you are asking this question and have a double cardan shaft, you'll find a lot of different answers to this question, based on people's subjective feeling of what constitutes a driveline vibration. I had no problems with a 2" lift (very, very minor vibes), and at 5" had to use a 4 degree shim (this is on a 8.25).

Have a look here: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/driveline/

Last edited:
...I had no problems with a 2" lift (very, very minor vibes), and at 5" had to use a 4 degree shim (this is on a 8.25)...
Same for mine before the 8.8, was running an 8.25 and a 2.5" w/ stock 'shaft it was fine. Upped the lift to RE's 4.5 (settled around 5.5 or so) and got some vibes. Threw in a 4* shim and all was good. Ended up putting an SYE and a new CV 'shaft in the rear and kept the shims (no adverse effects), although with the 8.8 I ditched them since I set the pinion angle via the perches.

I should have mentioned that when I put in the 4* shims, I put in a SYE and a double cardan drive shaft at the same time. I didn't put the shims in with the slip spline (stock) shaft.

You won't need shims unless you install a SYE and a CV drive shaft (double cardan drive shaft).
How do you figure?

Shims can *sometimes* be used to solve vibe issues when lifting but using the stock shaft. Either lift springs or lift shackles or both can cause you to need shims.

You won't need shims unless you install a SYE and a CV drive shaft (double cardan drive shaft).
IIRC it goes the other way around... Shim's and t-case drops are more of a temp fix until an SYE can be scrounged up. I know shims are recommended with an SYE depending on angles and such.

Tigercheif's diagram is correct for a slip spline shaft. I went up 2" with no vibes (and no degree shims). At 3.5" I got DS vibes and had to install SYE, CV shaft and shims. Your own experaince may differ. Seems like some can run 4" lift with no issues. Some install TC drop. Never heard of anyone installing shims unless they've installed SYE.
Do you mean degree shims or shims to drop the TC?

How do you figure?

Shims can *sometimes* be used to solve vibe issues when lifting but using the stock shaft. Either lift springs or lift shackles or both can cause you to need shims.

Seems true. If you used longer shackles wich resulted in pinion not being parallel with TC output AND you are going to stay with the stock Slip Yoke shaft, you could use degree shims to bring you back to parallel.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Usually you'll need more shims with an SYE simply because you have to counteract the built-in pinion angle in the spring perches from the factory. That's why I'm holding off on my SYE right now, an 8.8 is also in the works and I haven't welded the perches on, so I'm going to just set the perches at the angle I need (1-2 degrees below parallel with the driveshaft for an SYE setup) instead of using shims.

... I'm going to just set the perches at the angle I need (1-2 degrees below parallel with the driveshaft for an SYE setup) instead of using shims.

That's a much better way to go than using shims. If I ever move my shock mounts to the top or side of the axle, I'll do this at the same time and ditch the shims.

Back