• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ rear end question

Powersmokein

NAXJA Forum User
ok so Iam new to jeep and have a rear axle question, the previous owner I got my XJ from said he thought 1 of the rear hubs was bent , well looking at the rear the passenger side wheel does sit a little funny like somthing isnt right, iam wondering if the bearing and seal maybe messed up cause it does look like its been leaking a little fluid from the seal over time

If the axle shaft is bent, you should be able to see a wobble or you can use an Dial Indicator to check it.

If the fluid is gear oil, suspect a bad seal. Inspect the bearings for damage.

If the axle shaft is bent, you should be able to see a wobble or you can use an Dial Indicator to check it.

both , there is wobble on the passenger side rear wheel and its gear oil leaking

Just to be sure, don't overlook the possibility of just having a bent wheel. To be sure, swap a different (known straight) wheel and look for wobble.

AND once again we come to the pregnant moment in the discussion when knowing year/engine/trans/t-case/axles would be of great use...

AND once again we come to the pregnant moment in the discussion when knowing year/engine/trans/t-case/axles would be of great use...
1995 Jeep Cherokee Country, stock engine,auto trans and t case, dunno what axle in the front but iam pretty sure its a D35 out back.

(sorry the other jeep forum I join has a signature section so I dont have to describe my jeep)

probly cheaper and easier to replace the whole axle
I have a friend that has 2 jeeps I can pull parts off if I need them so thats why Iam asking, if its something I can handle i'll go ahead and do it, if its drivable as is i will leave it for a little while or if it needs to be professionally done then.......iam SOL lol

BTW I'd like to know it its something I can handle within the next 2 days because I got my new add a leafs,and monroe extended length sensa trac shocks in that iam gonna put on there, (and maybe a small block if needed with spacers in the front) so I can fit 31"s and run smoothly. I wont be off roading it for a LONG while I'll be at Ft.Benning and Ft. Hood so the wife will pretty much be mall crawling with it.

so if the passenger side axle shaft is bent I should just replace the hole axle?
If its free yes, your going to have the axle pretty much taken off doing leafs, if its not free, then i would say no if its just the shaft, they come out pretty easy, and the JY won't ding you too much for it.

Hey tim, this is really off topic, but i just checked out the overhead console, would it be possible to rig this into an 89 XJ? If so, what kind of parts would i need?

If its free yes, your going to have the axle pretty much taken off doing leafs, if its not free, then i would say no if its just the shaft, they come out pretty easy, and the JY won't ding you too much for it.
well my buddy has a hole jeep but iam lookin at possibly getting the rear axle and leaf packs if I need.

well my buddy has a hole jeep but iam lookin at possibly getting the rear axle and leaf packs if I need.
Right, but what i mean is, if the axle is free, your going to have it pretty much home free when you do new leaf springs, All you'll have to do, is disconnect the drive line, and brake lines, and the axle rolls away, if your not going to swap the axle, and just the axle shaft is bent, replace it, if both are bent, then yes, you should probably just swap the axle. Just make sure both axles are going to be the same gear ratio, 3.55 is pretty common, so thats probably what they will be.

Right, but what i mean is, if the axle is free, your going to have it pretty much home free when you do new leaf springs, All you'll have to do, is disconnect the drive line, and brake lines, and the axle rolls away, if your not going to swap the axle, and just the axle shaft is bent, replace it, if both are bent, then yes, you should probably just swap the axle. Just make sure both axles are going to be the same gear ratio, 3.55 is pretty common, so thats probably what they will be.
is there a little tag on the rear pumpkin like in fords and chevys that tells the gear ratio and such

yes, all jeep axles left the factory with gear ratio tags, but they often get removed during the service life of the vehicle.

you can also count teeth, or count rotations of the axle shaft when you spin the pinion 1 time around. it should also be stamped into the outside edge of the ring gear, its not clearly marked, but you should see 355 or 307, etc etc. 355 = 3.55, and 307 = 3.07.

Back