• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ruff stuff frame stiffeners

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
I'm seriously considering purchasing and installing a set of Ruff Stuff frame stiffeners, as seen here: http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/chassis-channel-reinforcement-p-291.html :these will be the basis for my new 3-link project.
I've done a TON of searching for a decent write-up, to no avail!
One thing Ruff Stuff advertises is the addition of the top edge of their stiffener, stating it reduces or removes the potential for a break in the floor pan/frame joint. Also states it makes welding easier at the top.
Anyone have any experience with installing these things? Know of any write-ups?

I'm seriously considering purchasing and installing a set of Ruff Stuff frame stiffeners, as seen here: http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/chassis-channel-reinforcement-p-291.html :these will be the basis for my new 3-link project.
I've done a TON of searching for a decent write-up, to no avail!
One thing Ruff Stuff advertises is the addition of the top edge of their stiffener, stating it reduces or removes the potential for a break in the floor pan/frame joint. Also states it makes welding easier at the top.
Anyone have any experience with installing these things? Know of any write-ups?

There is a write-up somewhere on the HD offroad ones. Never knew ruff stuff had them but if they are anything like the diff covers they will be beef.

I've read the HD offroad write up. Since I'm removing my OEM LCA brackets completely, I want a stiffener that covers that area. The Ruff stuff stiffeners do, while the HD's don't. The Ruff stuff units also go up somewhat into the rear wheel well, while the HD's don't. I'd prefer the 10ga metal HD's over the 3/16 of the RS's, but the additional coverage at the wheel wells by the RS's is the determining factor for me.

I like the Ruffstuff stiffeners a lot. Letterman and I installed them on Bryan C's rig...
standard.jpg

I like the upper lip as we are going to attach some (sorta) boat sides to them.
Here's Bryan about to Hit Letterman with a BFH after he saw his crappy welds...
standard.jpg

:laugh2:

Thanks for the pics and comments.
Did you weld the edge of the "lip" to the floor pan? I'm assuming it was necessary to move carpets back?

i run the ruffstuff

when installing these (especially to previously mangled framerails) you can never have enough jacks,jackstands, and c-clamps. makes pushing/bending it close to the rail easier.

20364-img-1581-small.jpg

(stock crossmember is temporary)

Last edited:
I'm installing a set currently. The top piece gets welded to the lip of the frame rail not the floor pans. The rear piece extends past the leaf mount on the bottom of the rail and about 3" past the bend.

My rails were so mangled I had to use bolts with large washers to pull them tight to the frame rail. This would have been impossible with floors in it. Lots of quality 6" c clamps will help for sure. Use a Jack to mate it to the bottom of the frame rails as well.

I can see where rails in good shape would make this a very easy project but if they are mangled it's a pain.

I'm glad I went with these over the other brands.

Weight. My poor XJ has gone from, what, 3200lbs stock?, to ~ 4300!! And I still don't have a roll cage.

just to revive an old thread, i finally got my jeeps axles out and the lca mounts off the frame and went to line up my ruff stuff rails and i cant quite see how the rear portion even sits. do i have to drop my leaves to get it in there? if someone has some pictures it would be greatly appreciated. Also i saw his response was "what floor pans, what carpet" but im curious if i need to pull mine back to weld that upper seam? im having someone else with more experience do the welding for me so.

thanks in advance guys.

i wish ruffstuff would just put round 1/2" holes for rosette welding instead of the big ovals. they're a pain in the butt.

Good work Letterman. What is the size of the boat side rub rail?

I am trying to understand the sequence of events in the first three pictures. Two I understand. To do good work one need plenty of beers. The one with the two police cars and the finished XJ????

Good work Letterman. What is the size of the boat side rub rail?

I am trying to understand the sequence of events in the first three pictures. Two I understand. To do good work one need plenty of beers. The one with the two police cars and the finished XJ????

The rockers are 2x6 box steel. The pics are out of sequence, the pic with the cops should have been first.

Back