• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inline 6 Radiator Question

APFPilot

NAXJA Forum User
I'm somewhat new to Jeeps (owned an XJ in college) and just bought a 99 as my new daily driver. As I've been looking things over something that stands out to me is that the engine doesn't seem to have the normal cooling system with a pressurized bottle, but rather has a radiator cap and an overflow bottle. Is this normal or something I should be worried about. Sorry about the quality of the pics.

Your XJ in college must have been a 90/earlier - using the RENIX closed system.

The 91 and newer XJs (and MJs) have the new "open" cooling system, it's got its drawbacks and benefits. Some of the benefits are that it's much easier to burp after working on it, the overflow tank isn't under pressure, etc.

EXCELLENT call. Haynes / Chilton are pretty much worthless for anything a decent gearhead won't figure out intuitively by looking at something.

If you want a real manual, check autobook bishko and ebay for 99 Factory Service Manuals. Those have pretty much all the info you would need to turn a crate of parts into a working, running XJ and also to figure out what's wrong with it if you screwed up. I paid about 50 bucks for my 96 XJ FSM and about 80 for my 91 XJ/MJ/YJ FSM.

Back