• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changed fuel filter...stumbles on hills?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
After I changed my fuel filter it seems to stumble/buck now at the bottom (+/-1300-1600 rpms) of OD on hills. Used to just bog down like normal but now it acts like I'm losing fuel flow. No power loss though. Just "coughing" sorta
Could it just be air bubbles in the top of the filter working their way out once an incline is reached? I've only put about 2 miles of uphill driving since the change so if bubbles could effect it they may have worked heir way out by now.
It does fine in OD in every other scenario and kicks down fine. Just seems odd that every thing was fine before the filter change. I don't get it...thoughts?
96 XJ, 4.0L I6, 3" lift, 150K

Go back and be sure that the connections on the filter are properly tight. Can filters have an orientation (usually an arrow that says towards engine). Be sure that is right.

If above checks out, put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail and see what it is running at.

After I changed my fuel filter it seems to stumble/buck now at the bottom (+/-1300-1600 rpms) of OD on hills. Used to just bog down like normal but now it acts like I'm losing fuel flow. No power loss though. Just "coughing" sorta
Could it just be air bubbles in the top of the filter working their way out once an incline is reached? I've only put about 2 miles of uphill driving since the change so if bubbles could effect it they may have worked heir way out by now.
It does fine in OD in every other scenario and kicks down fine. Just seems odd that every thing was fine before the filter change. I don't get it...thoughts?
96 XJ, 4.0L I6, 3" lift, 150K

I have to ask, why did you change the filter?
Were you having problems earlier?

"...Used to just bog down like normal ..."

fuel pump is on its way out

fuel pump is on its way out

For a beer or a burger?

As posted above, start with what you changed BEFORE the new problem presented. Check the fuel filter orientation and the tightness of the clamps. Did you use an OEM equivalent filter or some "universal" fit filter? If the filter orientation is correct, it is a correct filter, and the clamps are tight, then check the pressure at the fuel rail with a gauge--your fuel pump MIGHT be on its way out.

Back