• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap "blown motor in need of new"

blackwater

NAXJA Forum User
OK hi all, new to the forum!

Well years or so ago my 99 xj and a deep hole didnt mix well with a p-flow intake. ooops sucked in some mud! Most the time i change out the p-flow for stock air box with attachment to make a make shift snorkel under the hood running as far north as I can with out having a real one. Water locked engine is what came of that. I had to pull everything apart , clean replace and renewed per say. I have been running the motor since and had some oil, over heating and others. But with a bad tap and not replacing much it has run and ran good for what happened till today. Well I run 32 on 6" of lift stock gears. I was late to pick up the kids from daycare and was 2 hours away. Damn near on the floor the whole way with hilly areas.
Heard some loud sounds for 1 second and that was it under that split second. Push some rods and locked her up.

With all that said and done there is no reason to try and save the motor to just get every last mile out of it since water locking it.

Question is has anyone replaced a motor for a 99xj or year abouts themselfs, if so how many hours did it take with working a full job? or not.

Or if you have had it done at a shop, was it like having a new xj or it wasnt a big change just ran and sounded the same?

How much and where should I look for a new or rebuild motor.

New vs. rebuild what would you do?

Or hell go all out a get a small block and run with it.

So how hard is it to do yourself? I have pulled and replaced others but not on a xj.

Depending on your situtation, arguably the best option is to pull your motor and have it rebuilt. Get a good machine shop and parts and you'll know you have a quality rebuilt engine as opposed to the money you'd spend on something new or already rebuilt.

Back