• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

700R4 Transfer Case Question

ventureforth

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched the forum but haven't quite found an answer to my question. I'm installing a 700R4 tranny into my '86 XJ to replace the AX5. Eventually, I'd like to put on a 242 or 231 t-case, or D300, or something nice...but for now I just want to maintain my 4WD in any form as I need to minimize cost. Are there any t-cases out there that will bolt up to the 700R4 without any expensive adapters or transmission re-assemblies? All the Blazer t-cases (which is where the tranny came from) are passenger-drop, and of course I need left-hand drop. I thought maybe the Ford t-case (NP205) that was used with the 700R4 could work, but it seems like it uses a different mounting setup than the Chevy version, so I don't know if that will work.

So, is there any option (even if it's a lowly NP207 or something) for me to just bolt something up in the meantime? Doesn't have to be Jeep OEM. Just as long as it's readily available, not too expensive, easy and/or cheap to install, and left-hand drop, I'm okay with any option. Like I said, eventually it will be replaced by a much better t-case (unless it turns out that I can bolt on a top-notch t-case right now).

Thanks.

Yeah. I love that site. And Novak is where I'll be going when I finally upgrade the t-case. But, unless I am misreading something, it doesn't mention any t-cases that would bolt up without one of their adapters (except, of course, the OEM Chevy ones which are right-hand drop). I'm trying to avoid spending money on adapters and transmission mods right now. Now, I realized they aren't going to say, "Yeah, you don't to buy our adapters. We don't want to make money. We don't have employees to pay, and overhead to worry about," which is totally understandable. Is there a reading inbetween the lines thing that I'm not picking up on that says a NP2xx will bolt up just fine even without one of their adapters? If so, which one? Or are you telling me that it can't be done based on the info on the Novak site?

Thanks.

You haven't done much researching.

I read their page for about 5 minutes and you'll need to get a different flexplate and do some spacing for the crankshaft.

Not sure if you absolutely have to buy their stuff or if you can find a factory part that will work, but I'd look elsewhere. Not many people swap OUT the AW4s.

Well, to be precise, I didn't swap out the AW4. I had an AX5/NP207 in there. It was in bad shape. The reason I went with the 700R4 is that I am swapping in a MB diesel and using an adapter plate that is designed to use that transmission.

Understandable.

I'm only saying that because most people on this board have a 4.0 which always came with the AW4 as the automatic which is plenty beef enough in stock form that no one feels the need to swap it out, hence you won't find too much information on that transmission on this forum.

I'd look elsewhere.

Try pirate4x4.

Back