• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding my 8.8, do I need to pull the bearings?

CharlieMopps

NAXJA Forum User
Putting in my 8.8 soon and I need to weld the axle tubes. Going to use a turkey fryer to heat the housing but I was wondering if I need to pull the carrier or anything before I do this. I don't want to have to re-setup anything so if anyone has tips on this process I'd appreciate it.

If you're talking about welding the spring perches on then you don't need to do any of that. If you're talking about welding the tubes to the center section then it would be advisable to pull the carrier and caps and stuff a soaked rag into the end of the axle tube. Use a very powerful welder to get good penetration and you will be good.

... good to know all of this...

FYI, make sure you use a good quality 1/4" or 5/16" (I think it's 5/16") box wrench or gearwrench to remove the cross pin retaining bolt, and heat the carrier right between the head of the bolt and the end of the cross shaft before trying to turn it. It sucks to get out if it rounds off...

... don't ask!

If you need a new retaining bolt for some strange reason after ignoring this post, the part number from Ford is D8BZ-4241-B... you will have to buy a bag of 3, it cost me around 6 bucks total.

I've never taken the carrier out before. Do I have to re-adjust anything or do any of that lame gearing crap? Also, I have a limited slip, does that make a difference?

If you leave the pinion alone, you won't have to. For paranoia's sake, when you pull the bearing caps, make sure you mark each one so you know which end goes up and which goes on each side - they are probably marked from the factory, use their marks if you can find them. I like to use a hand file and make a tiny (not too big or it'll result in a stress riser) nick at the top of one, with the matching nick on the inside edge of the cover mounting surface next to it, and two nicks at the top of the other bearing cap and cover mounting surface. Keep each bearing cone with the bearing it came from, i.e. use zipties to tie them to the carrier at the right end so you know where to put them afterwards. I don't think you should remove the pinion gear from the housing but someone with more expertise than I may disagree.

Your not going to hurt the bearings by welding the tubes to the housing. I have done it on 4 or 5 Ford 8.8s and have never pulled the carrier and never had an issue with the bearings for thousands of miles afterward.

AARON

Back