• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

eliminate EGR

rebel68

NAXJA Forum User
Hey i'm new to this site and have tried to search and read up on eliminating an EGR valve completely from my 1988 cherokee. I have seen some people saying they have done it, but no one specifically says how they did it? or if it effected any other operating characteristics of there XJ. I'm not putting on a different manifold or header. I just want to eliminate as much of the uneseccary crap that really has no purpose. From my understanding of an EGR valve it was an attempted to lower exhausht emisions by pumping already burnt exhaust back through the intake and through the engine. I'm a big AMC nut and have had several models of AMC's including REBELS, AMBASSADOR, CONCORDES, GREMLINS AND EAGLES. But my expertise lies with carburators. not fuel injection. With the carburated vehicles I try to remove as much of the factory pollution control crap as possible. This has included removing and blocking EGR valves. as well as Air pumps. I do not have to worry about emmisions testing yet (knock on wood) so that is not an issue. i Just want to know if I remove and plug the intake and exhaust were the EGR was, as well as the vacuum lines, will I suffer any lack of performance or fuel economy? Do I have to do anything with the EGR solonoid?

Back