• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adjustable uppers

92tahoexj

NAXJA Forum User
Right now I'm running 4.5" of lift with drop brackets and factory upper and lower control with daystar poly bushings in them. I want to upgrade and was wondering if i really need adjustable uppers? Or lowers? I was thinking about just getting some stock length fixed lowers and calling it good. I'm not really planning on going any bigger anytime soon. I do want something stronger though.

Get adjustables. You'll be happy you did.

I'm sure I'd be "Happy" with them, but do I "Need" them? I'm running RC drop brackets and 4.5" of lift. According to Yuccaman's chart I need factory length arms. Why not fixed length? what's the shortest you can make the adj. length arms?
I went to order upper and lower arms today from a company i won't mention and the guy told me that I don't need adj. uppers with my lift and i should get rid of my drop brackets and just use their adj. lowers. I told him I would call back tomorrow. :dunno:
now I'm just confused. I thought I needed the adj uppers and lowers to help with my caster and pinion angle. I want to get rid of these stock arms asap.

Last edited:
I highly recommend them over fixed. To answer your question you don't need them. You could absolutely use fixed length. If it were my jeep I would use all four of my arms. Its not my jeep though.

If it were my jeep I would use all four of my arms. Its not my jeep though.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean that I only needed to use just lower control arms. He said that i only needed to purchase lower arms and use my stock uppers instead of buying upper and lower arms

So why was the the guy i was trying to buy adj. uppers and adj. lowers from tell me i don't need them? I had credit card in hand ready to spend $300+ and this guy tells me I only need to buy the adj LCA and I should remove my drop brackets and sell em on ebay.

ok. i gotcha now. yeah. some guys do that. i'm running adjustable lowers and fixed uppers. they're not stock though. RE and RC

General rule of thumb I've heard is that if you are happy with your current wheelbase, just use fixed aftermarket lowers. Use adjustable uppers to adjust caster.

At 4.5 inches of lift, some fixed aftermarket lowers (which are usually about 1/4 or so longer than stock) and some ajdustable uppers; would work fine for your application....

Right now I'm running 4.5" of lift with drop brackets and factory upper and lower control with daystar poly bushings in them. I want to upgrade and was wondering if i really need adjustable uppers? Or lowers? I was thinking about just getting some stock length fixed lowers and calling it good. I'm not really planning on going any bigger anytime soon. I do want something stronger though.

How is the front pinion angle and the front end alignment specs with the stock CAs?

You could replace the stock LCAs with WJ LCAs and gain a better ride, more tire clearance and a stronger LCA for less cash than aftermarket CAs
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoWJcontrolarms.htm

General rule of thumb I've heard is that if you are happy with your current wheelbase, just use fixed aftermarket lowers. Use adjustable uppers to adjust caster.

At 4.5 inches of lift, some fixed aftermarket lowers (which are usually about 1/4 or so longer than stock) and some ajdustable uppers; would work fine for your application....

Which is exactly what I did and am happy with the results.

Back