• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Range Sensor

dwefler

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings fellow XJ owners.

I am a proud new owner of an XJ that I got in January and it has been quite a learning experience.

My recent project is now a "Transmission Range Sensor"

I'm trying to find some sites with "How-To's" but I haven't had much luck yet.
Any suggestions?
Has anyone done this before?
How difficult of a job is it?
Is it doable in an afternoon? Any specific tools?

Any help you can give would be great.
Thanks

Boiler Up!

So, in IN, what is it that they call a "Transmission Range Sensor"?

im thinking either the nuetral safety switch, or the transfer case range indicator. im sure he will chime back in and explain. give the guy a chance.

Hallo Dwefler,
Do you have troubles with the Jeep?
When the contacts of the NSS switch are dirty, you can have startproblems,backlights problems or shifting problems.
Easy job to clean them but please search, alot of links.

'92XJ Wim

I'd bet on the neutral safety switch as well.

What year/engine?

Clean you NSS. The plug is different than the older model but its the same removal and cleaning procedure. I did this to my old Jeep and never got the code afterwards.

http://www.boyandjeep.com/tech-artic...switch-rebuild

Also, GoSlowGetStuck lives in West Lafayette. If you need some assistance PM him and I bet he'll give you a hand if he isn't busy.

If it is the NSS, it's definitely doable in an afternoon. I did mine in my driveway last winter when it was 9 degrees outside. It took about an hour outdoors, and about half an hour indoors cleaning the unit up and applying new greese. That was 10,000 miles ago and over a year now and it's working great. I knew mine needed to be cleaned because I had no reverse lights, and my CEL popped a code for the transmission and "Tranmission Range Sensor." Others have had problems removing the unit from the transmission without breaking it but mine slid right off.....probably because I'm in Oregon with no salt on the roads....no rust to speak of.

Back