• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bored out TB...New vs DIY

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
so i did my research and my reading
both on the write ups on boring out the bottom end of the stock TB to 62mm
and also the options on aftermarket TB spacers that are 62mm all the way through

now the big obvious difference is the $150-300 pricetag

but what are the power and enficientcy difference??

i found just one decent write up on doing it yourself is there any more??

just trying to better my power and gas millage and after intake and exhaust i figured Tb would be my next step..

so any help would be great.
thanks

why go 62mm?? you can go 60m without messing around with the butterfly, which is a pain to get right, because it is not round, its slightly oblong and has to be angled correctly on the edges to line up properly when its closed, it sits at an angle closed...

you should save the money, diy... check gojeeps site, that's similar to how i did mine, i bought a set of sanding wheels and rigged up pretty much the same as he describes...

62mm will do you little for the hassle, not unless you do some serious modding, and maybe then..

what year is your xj?? if it's pre 97, spend the money on a new intake manifold post 97... or headers, that would make a lot more bang for the buck.. do you have open air intake, or stock box??? all these things need to be looked at, intake/outtake, have to be close to equal, otherwise you're wasting your time and money... just a heads up.

search "bored out throttlebody"... it's all here...

I bored mine out on a lathe in about 8 minutes. No B.S. I can say that 60mm all the way thru makes a noticeable improvment in performance.

i just figured 62mm cause that was the size of the opening in the manifold
but im more interested insaving the money and going 60mm

whats is the stock size.... 56mm??

also i have a 96 will swaping a intake manifold from 97+ make a difference?

thanks
cas

yes, but like i said, it's a balance of the engine breathing in, and breathing out, with the right amount of back pressure and understanding how the whole system works. you need to take intake and outtake along with all those components into consideration, when you plan your upgrades.

open air intake
bored tb (diy-free)
high flow cat back
high flow cat
upgraded injectors (mustang)
intake manifold
headers...

close enough in that order from less expensive to more expensive, but all those need to be looked at as a complete system. do the first three, then think about how much money you have to drop on your xj.

yes on the intake, its a better shape with higher volume, no 90 degree bends. just do some searching here, its all in the search button, it's your friend... if you can't find it, then ask.

did you search for gojeep yet?? he tells it better than i do....

Last edited:
i have a home made K&N intake
also have a flow master muffler
now planning to do the throttle body home upgrade to 60mm

im taking my jeep to the call back and receinving a new cat converter(not high flow but atleast new)

or should i just remove it all together( not too worried about emissions test)??

i also started looking into a 99 intake manifold

injectors from what year mustang?? with what engine?? lol i'll search

then when i get a raise i'll get headers

thanks

one last question

would a heat shield box made of sheet metal do the job

i have plenty of that laying around and access to a metal brake and sheer

also im planning it on building it in the very bottom right corner as close to the corner as possible

will i still have good air flow with a box built around the filter out of sheet metal

thanks

cassio

Here's a listing of the mustang injectors rates and part numbers.

Flow, Part no., Color, Application

14 lb/hr, F1ZE-B4C, Gray, 1.9 - 3.8L
19 lb/hr, FOTE-D1A, Yellow/Orange, 4.6L SOHC
19 lb/hr, FOTE-D5B, Yellow/Black, 5.0L, 4.6L SOHC
24 lb/hr, F2LE-B2A, Lt. Blue 4.6L DOHC
25.3 lb/hr, F3DE-A2B, Blue/Green 3.0L Flex Fuel
30 lb/hr, F1SE-E1A, Red, 3.8L SC

Just make sure you refrence your stock rate and make sure the new ones are the same or slightly higher flow rate and make sure they are the same impetence as the stock ones.

Check here:
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/tech_specs.html

http://jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/FIPK.html

google is your friend.....

i used corrugated plastic and wrapped it in hvac duct insulated tape @ 10.00 at home depot or like... aluminium backed tape. it's a foam insulated tape with aluminium backing works great for me. I would NOT USE SHEET METAL. the reason being is that metal transfers heat, defeating the purpose of the shield, minus keeping cr@p out of that area. I boxed mine in all around the vent and just butted it up to the headlight, works great.

just follow the instructions on the link.

Back