• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 to 97 swap

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
been thinking about getting rid of my 99... but its got a stroker in it and i know no one (outside of the jeep community) is going to give me what its worth.

just wanted to double check.... both the 97 and 99 used the OBDII system right? so that mean swapping the motor and trans (both were originally 4.0/AX-15) would be plug and play correct?

anyone? just want to double check myself and get a yes that the OBDII system was introduced in 97 and the identical PCM was used in 99.

for some reason whenever i assume something small like this it turns out that i was wrong from the begining and should have never started, haha. is there a way to identify the existing PCM in a cherokee?

You need to check the numbers on the PCMs.

I doubt they are the same. There were changes to the engines in 99 and they changed the intake manifold to try and make up for power losses.

You shouldn't have a problem, i just got a 97 with a blown motor and swapped in a 99. There will be some plug differences, off the top of my head i know the distributor plug and oil pressure sending unit plug are different, so i just swapped the distributor and sending unit. If you plan to keep the 99-up intake you will have to reroute some vacuum lines but other than that you shouldn't have any problems. I also have the ax-15 but didnt swap that as there was nothing wrong with it, but i assume you could always just swap the motors and leave the trannys in their respective vehicles.

josh

Last edited:
BTW where in norfolk are you. Im in the usmc right now in jacksonvill nc but should be coming back up to va beach in about a month or two. Im from around the princess anne area. Where do you usually surf, i might know you or have seen you around. Sorry for the thread hijack

i lived in norfolk, the 5 points area.

typically i surfed 73rd street, 42nd street, 15th street peir, croatan jetty, kitty hawk (secret spot :)) S turns, sea haven, billy mitchell, or frisco pier... just depends on how far south i wanted to go. haha.

Back