• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering problem!

Erik Litchy

NAXJA Forum User
ok heres the deal
i had installed a new belt because my water pump locked up and ruined the old one. i havent driven this thing for months because i hate changing belts. i had simply changed the pump and put the old belt on again it looked ok.
so a bit later the thing disintegrates and tears up some wiring and made me mad and i ignored it for a while, driving my other car.

then i fixed the wiring and put in a new belt and was working the winch since its been a while since it was run i wanted to make sure it was free.

well the belt was slipping around the power steering pulley! there is PLENTY of tension on it, and i have run a power steering cooler for over 10 years on this thing. the fluid looks VERY clean, the steering works, but the belt is SMOKING when it goes around the pulley, even though its still turning.

my question is what do you think is going on? the power steering pump makes no abnormal noise(except the belt), is working, isnt running hot.

then

again no particles in the fluid, i turned the pulley by hand it feels smooth and goes about a turn after i let go. heres a vid i made, please help.

http://www.divshare.com/download/10681438-447

http://www.divshare.com/download/10681437-2bb

i ran it a bit without any belt and WOW does it have more power than normal. i hit the gas and the whole truck leans to the side and it screams for the redline. its not like that normally.

THEN TODAY

new pump, SAME EXACT PROBLEM
belt has plenty of tension!

"belt has plenty of tension!" means exactly HOW much tension? Did you use a belt tension gauge?

New belt, 180~200 foot pounds.

Used belt, any belt after 15 minutes of use, 140~160 foot pounds.

Checked all of my belt tension gauges, none of them is marked "belt has plenty of tension".

Back