• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 axle seal replacment - 88 XJ

1988 Cherokoo

NAXJA Forum User
Whats involved in replacing all the axle seals on the dana 35 on a 88 XJ, how long do you think it will take doing it out on the street.

I know there are 4 - 2 per side, one outter and one inner.

I am hoping its just a matter of taking the c-clips off the shaft, with the drum off and puling the shaft out. Getting new cover seal, gear oil and seals. At the same time I have to do the brake shoes, and would you suggest doing the wheel bearing as well?

I really hope I dont have to mess with the ring and pinion.

Outside is easy and yes do the bearing while you are there. As for the inner, I think you have to pull the diff and ring gear. This could make things difficult.

are you gonna wheel it much/at all? ever thinking of going over 31" tires?

I'd replace the seals by putting in a 97+ 29spline 8.25 if so. Else, yeah, replace the seals, do the bearings while you are in there.

I came across this problem thinking it was a brake pad/shoe issue. Thought for sure it was the front pads, went to junk yard picked up some $1 pads with good meat left, got it down to pads, pads were fine, rotor was scratched from previous misfortune. Both fronts had good meat left.

Took rear wheel off along with drum, pads were fine.
Saw oil leaking from axle shaft.

The gear oil leaking onto the drum and pads is not good, sticking brakes, lockups.

I then found out as I was inspecting the front pads, the top of my sway bar broke off, no bolt at all. That explains my knock when I turn steering wheel. Easy enough fix, go to junk yard take one off put it on mine. I am towing now so everything needs to be buttoned up real well. I am on the hunt for a transmission cooler line to help with the towing.

The '88 D35 has NO c-clips. It does have inner and outer seals. I've replaced outers and you will have to press the bearings off the axles to replace the seals. There is a good chance that the sealing surface on the axle is rough and will need to be smoothed up.

What holds the axle shaft in place? just the 4 bolts behind drum?

yes, just the four bolts into the retaining plate.

Double check, it's possible that someone has swapped an axle. If you have a seperate plate behind the brake shoes that only goes to the four bolt holes and is around the shaft then it's not a c-clip axle.

Back