• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idle is 1000 after warm and 1500 in Park, Help

QuillsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Help, my idle is 1000 when in drive after the Jeep reaches operating temperature and when I shift it into Park it is 1500+ rpm. Jeep is tough to shift between gears. Seems to be shifting okay well driving though. Thinking that it was the IAC motor I swapped that out yesterday, no fix. There is no Check Engine light on. Please help, it is embarrassing and frustrating.

When the engine is warmed up, use a spray bottle full of water and set for "stream" and spray around the intake manifold where it mates to the engine, that should help you find the intake leak.

definitely sounds like either leaking air around the intake(like joe said), bad fuel injector o-rings (weird but it happened to me and caused the same thing) or a vacuum leak somewhere else.

I had this with my '92. We took the throttle body off, cleaned it with brake cleaner, sprayed the moving parts with silicone and put it back. When warm, the idle went to just over 700 rpm without doing anything else to the vehicle. Good luck and I hope this relatively quick and easy fix does it for you.

I had this with my '92. We took the throttle body off, cleaned it with carb cleaner (previous try said brake cleaner), sprayed the moving parts with silicone and put it back. When warm, the idle went to just over 700 rpm without doing anything else to the vehicle. Good luck and I hope this relatively quick and easy fix does it for you.

I figured out my problem...the bearings on the throttle body lever had to be greased. This was something that I neglected to do when I installed it. Now the pedal is easier to move and the Jeep idles right at 750. So what was happening was when my Jeep got up to operating temperature the rubber seal o-rings in the bearings were expanding and restricting the throttle pin from opening and closing, basically causing it to stick.

I figured out my problem...the bearings on the throttle body lever had to be greased. This was something that I neglected to do when I installed it. Now the pedal is easier to move and the Jeep idles right at 750. So what was happening was when my Jeep got up to operating temperature the rubber seal o-rings in the bearings were expanding and restricting the throttle pin from opening and closing, basically causing it to stick.

Glad you got it squared away.

Back