• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion shim size?!?!?

Jay S.

NAXJA Forum User
How can I verify what degree pinion shim I have? It's a Rubicon Express pack with RE shims but I don't know if it's a 6° or 4° shim.....any measurements would be appreciated!

Okay, I guess I should clarify....the RE shims that are installed in my Rubicon Express leaf springs are 5/8" of an inch thick at the rear (thickest point) which RE shims are they: 4°, 6°, or 8°??????? that is my question.

Sometimes it's just easier to help yourself.

A protractor is used to measure angles. They are insanely cheap (and easy to use) and available everywhere (I'd bet your corner store has one in stock). Infact, if you have ever been to school, you have used one. If you have ever had kids, there is likely one laying around some place.

Infact... here is a PDF of one. http://www.ossmann.com/protractor/conventional-protractor.pdf

Print it out and use it :D

Oh, Installed eh? Given the length of the shim, and the height of one side of the shim, and given that it is a triangle and one of the angles is known, you should be able to solve for the remaining two angles. Or Draw it out on a piece of paper and measure it with the protractor :D

Ron

Last edited:
All I am looking for is someone who knows: The 4° shim measures 3/8" thick at the rear, the 6° shim measures 5/8" thick......and so on!
I didn't realize I was asking way too much :banghead:

Back