• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can tcase be engaged while rolling in Neutral?

uRabbit

NAXJA Forum User
I've always been told (and it makes sense) to not engage the tcase while in gear. I've always done it at a stand-still from P. But can it be engaged while rolling if you slip the tranny into N?

4Hi can be engaged at any street legal speed - with the caveat that none of the wheels should be slipping, i.e. just coast while engaging it. This goes for both parttime and fulltime (if you have a 242 transfer case.)

4Lo should only be engaged or disengaged while rolling at about 2-3mph with the transmission in neutral - if your case is in good shape or you get lucky it may shift properly into 4Lo while stopped as well.

4Hi can be engaged at any street legal speed - with the caveat that none of the wheels should be slipping, i.e. just coast while engaging it. This goes for both parttime and fulltime (if you have a 242 transfer case.)

4Lo should only be engaged or disengaged while rolling at about 2-3mph with the transmission in neutral - if your case is in good shape or you get lucky it may shift properly into 4Lo while stopped as well.

Yep. I have the 242.

Hmm. Well when I test-drove the vehicle before I bought it, I forgot to disengage the 4x4 (in 4x4 full time), so I did it while cruising at about 20mph (with foot off the gas), and there was a very large, loud CLUNK. And I've always seen people do it when not moving.

I have a 231 and out at the dunes, I'll toss it into 4hi while I'm driving. And back into 2wd. Its no big deal.
In your case (no pun intended) I would do a fluid flush on the t-case. You never know how much or how often the PO used 4wd. Maybe check u-joints as well.

I have a 231 and out at the dunes, I'll toss it into 4hi while I'm driving. And back into 2wd. Its no big deal.
In your case (no pun intended) I would do a fluid flush on the t-case. You never know how much or how often the PO used 4wd. Maybe check u-joints as well.

Ya that's one of the fluid changes I have yet to do, simply due to lack of experience and time. I've got the Haynes manual tho, so it shouldn't be too hard. I'm waiting to fix my tranny coolant line before I do anything with transmission fluid. Good thing I don't need 4wd right now.

And I'm pretty sure the previous owner basically neglected the Jeep (except for repairs and oil changes). I'm surprised it's in as good of shape that it's in, considering the things I've found wrong with it. Haha!

Thanks guys!

The PO of my xj said they only put it in 4wd one time and the original owner they bought it from said they also tried it once(judgement call but I believe them). I changed the fluid and it came out like black water though as if it had never been changed.

It's always shifted fine for me though in any situation. I can get into 4lo at a stop if I really need to with little effort and it engages solid. Doing 4lo properly is as smooth as can be no clunks or anything. I've done 4hi many times cruising at 30mph or more on dirt/gravel.

I have an Ax15/ 231

Shifting in/out of 4lo is possible at speed. First put the trans in neutral, then shift to neutral, and then 4low. then back into the appropriate gear: 1st in hi is about 3rd in low.
then let the clutch back out and keep climbing. If done properly, it will be seamless. If you mess up, the case will let you know!

You may shift the 242 while rolling in neutral. Whether or not you can do it will depend on if the tires are the same brand and size, whether you are moving straight, etc--if the driveline needs to synchronize the transfer case won't want to shift.

Ya that's one of the fluid changes I have yet to do, simply due to lack of experience and time. I've got the Haynes manual tho, so it shouldn't be too hard.

before you get ready to drain the T.C. make sure the fill plug comes out. It will suck monkey poop if you get it drained and can't get the fill plug out. Never happened to me, but I've heard of it enough to think about it every time I get ready to change the fluid.

Mkay. Maybe I'll test it again now that I have all four tires matched up. When I first got it, there were three different brands in three different sizes. (185 being smallest, 215 being largest. Haha!)

before you get ready to drain the T.C. make sure the fill plug comes out. It will suck monkey poop if you get it drained and can't get the fill plug out. Never happened to me, but I've heard of it enough to think about it every time I get ready to change the fluid.

That's exactly what I was going to say. Happened to me a couple months back. DO NOT drive without fluid in the t-case. I had to go buy a huge socket and 1/2" adapter.
Be sure to loosen the fill plug before you drain it. You may be able to fill it without a suction gun (huge syringe for cars), but I doubt it. Mine was under $20 and has come in handy many times.

ETA: Is there anything wrong with putting it in 4 low while not coasting slowly? My 242 has gone into 4 low while stopped every one of the dozen times I've used it. I usually put into N while stopped, then go in R for a couple feet, then D as usual. It seems to set it better if I go in R before D. Sometimes it doesn't like to disengage though - and I think my selecter light is funky too.

Thanks...

Could someone kindly explain the proper way to go into and out of 4 low for me?

Last edited:
Could someone kindly explain the proper way to go into and out of 4 low for me?

To get into 4lo - I stop the XJ completely, put the tranny in neutral, then put it into 4lo, then put the tranny back into drive. To get out of 4lo - I stop completely, put the tranny into neutral, then put it into 4hi.

To get from 4hi to 2hi, I have it rolling at 5-30mph, then cram it hard into 2hi. Sometimes it takes a few attempts to get from 4hi to 2hi.

Mkay. Maybe I'll test it again now that I have all four tires matched up. When I first got it, there were three different brands in three different sizes. (185 being smallest, 215 being largest. Haha!)
Incorrect tire sizes will definitely affect how it shifts.

I believe it's 30mm, some have been known to have a huge allen key instead. At that point there isn't much difference between metric and SAE sizes anyways, just pick one that fits fairly snugly and don't get stupid with it.

I believe it's 30mm, some have been known to have a huge allen key instead. At that point there isn't much difference between metric and SAE sizes anyways, just pick one that fits fairly snugly and don't get stupid with it.

A 3/8" drive breaker bar or long handle ratchet works real nice for those.

That's what I used, no socket or keys I just stuck my ratchet in there and it's a perfect fit.

Thats how it looks on my 97! :thumbup:

Back