• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Negative travel/flex

twistedlizard720

NAXJA Forum User
I am curious about what I can do to get more negative travel out of my suspension. I'm currently sitting on a 3 inch pro comp lift w/ pro comp es3000 shocks. With my swaybar disconnected the axle can sag a good amount, but its nothing spectacular, no brake line extensions needed.

Is it a good Idea to even try to add negative travel to it?

i have a hard time hitting my rear bumps, except on speed bumps.

what tire size you running? and how close to steel is the tire, when it's as stuffed as you can get it under normal curb flexin?

Control drop brackets or long arms will help the front. Longer rear shackles with a better shackle angle will help the rear. Make sure the shocks have enough extension and are not becoming limiting straps.

Droop isn't what you should be building for. You want a balanced suspension that works. Huge RTI numbers are useless if you just spin your tires on easy trails.

Traction is more important than droop, so maybe you should be looking at lockers.

Running longer LCA's from Pro comp. Rear shackles are stock. Tire size is 31".

So realistically, you should equal negative and positive travel? As far as positive travel, I rub whenever a wheel is tucked. If my shocks are acting as limiting straps, what do I replace them with?

I like how my Jeep sits now. I will hopefully build it bigger, but its my Daily. Until I can get a second car as a daily (Big Black Cadillac!) I'm gearing it towards light, maybe medium duty off-road.

Picture of the ride.

jeep2.jpg

Last edited:
If the shocks are a limiting factor then you simply find shocks that are longer that will meet your needs. Remove them and flex it on both sides and measure the needed fully extended and fully compressed length. Check to see if your Pro comp arms come in contact with the axle mount on full droop. Stock arms will contact and limit down travel and simply cutting that bracket to avoid contact will give you a little bit more droop. I may be wrong here, but it seems like the track bar and steering components can limit down travel as well. Also, if you havent put disconnects on your front axle and removed the sway bar from your rear axle, that will give you a ton more flex alone. Just make sure that youre bumpstopped enough that the wheels dont get wedged against something like your bumper, body panels or inner wheel wells. Once they get jammed against something its like putting the brake on on that wheel. Since that wheels is stuffed, thats the one with the traction as well so the drooped wheel will have to fight that much harder to overcome the stuffed wheel ( when its contacting something of course) With what looks to be a fairly mellow control arm angle, you should be able to get some pretty good flex out of your rig. I was at 3" and had to relocate the brake line mounting location because the stock lines were getting stretched pretty bad. You shouldnt have any issues gettting at least that much out of yours as well.

Stock trackbar and steering definately limit droop.
If the ProComp arms run poly bushings, that is not helping you either.
While excessive droop is not ideal, running more droop than the stock trackbar/steering allows is benificial.
I'm running 2.5" of lift and utilizing all of 11" travel shocks up front. It is not an RTI queen, it is balanced, and works very well.

Back