• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
New main shaft or the stock shaft cut down and treaded? Pros and cons to both? Im trying to do this on a budget. I figure ill do the stock shaft, I have another at home for a spare that I will cut doen and thread for a spare, If I have problems with that Ill buy a new HD mainshaft. Sound good?

I believe he wants to know if he should get a heavy duty drive shaft or have one made from a stock drive shaft.

In that case though you have to use a drive shaft that has a double cardan and the slip yoke is in the middle of the shaft like in the front. I still don't know what he wants to thread though.

So, Hack n' tap or full SYE. My vote is for a full SYE. If you going to take the case apart anyways mind as well put in the stronger main shaft and never worry about it again. There is a big difference between what I took out of my 231 and the JB conversions unit I put in (27 spline to 32 spline). Its like $220 shipped to the door and $20 for a front DS at the JY. Super easy install too! I wouldn't even mess with cutting, drilling, tapping, then putting that goofy seal/bearing on the back. In the time it would take to do that you'd be done with a true SYE and have a stronger case. For some people the Hack n' Tap is just fine.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1026667&highlight=Hack+tap

Back