• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water? on passenger side floor (not heater core)

mr magoo

NAXJA Forum User
I have something, looks like water, accumulating on the passenger side floor. I don't think its the heater core because it is not affected by turning the heat on or off. I recently replaced the valve that allows hot water into the heater core so it shouldn't allow any flow when off. Anybody have any ideas? The little puddle in the picture below was after sitting over night not even running the engine.

water.jpg

i had something similar before and it was because the HVAC weep hole was pluged up. Its a litle rubber tube near the oil filter that usually drips if you have the ac on because of condensation. If it gets pluged then you will have water come in through the core area and drip on the passanger side. I hope it is something so easy and not a bad seal somewhere. Good luck

i'd check the A/C drain like the other fella said, make sure it is not plugged up with crud or maybe you kinked it up when you did your water valve. if it looks clean, i would slide down there on you head with a flashlight and have someone run a water hose on the outside. it is possible that some on the sealer on the cowl or windshield may have came loose or dried up on you

The AC doesn't work. I think it probably needs charged. Regardless it doesn't work. I'll check that drain anyway. Thanks for the quick replies. Anyone else have any different ideas just in case?

Been raining?

I have to be careful not to park the nose uphill as the passenger footwell will 'well up' if it rains.

I'm thinking it's the windshield gasket. (?)

It's on my list of more things to do. Right after the springs and hitch and shocks and lights and springs.

Did I mention the springs?

No it hadn't rained. I don't know if it could have been dew or condensation on the windshield. There definately was condensation on my jeep the morning I took that picture. Its just there is often a little puddle there and I don't know how much condensation there is every morning I have a puddle. I didn't know if there was some weird routing of fluid containing hoses that could have sprung a leak above the area. I'm going to check the AC drain just for the hell of it and also any seals around the window etc. Thanks for the responses and if anyone has any other ideas let me know.

Last edited:
Check the HVAC blower to firewall gasket/seal. Mine had somehow "fallen" inward and every time it rained I got a lovely puddle on the passenger side floor. I pulled the blower and straightened out the seal and added some RTV. Problem solved.

Speed_racer said:
My old TJ would gather water so bad that if I made a hard turn to the right that it would SOAK my feet... Never found the problem tho.. lol

that sounds exactly like what happens when the cowl drain gets plugged. Water fills the heater system and then dumps out.

mine is leakin after i got the windsheild replaced to try an fix the problem. guess that just gives me a reason to pull the carpet out an rino line the floors! :laugh:

I am bumping this thread cause I am trying to figure out what is the blower/firewall foam gasket. Is this it? Its on my passenger side inner fender well/firewall

Blower_Gasket.JPG

if you remove the blower motor, put your hand inside and reach up that is where the gasket is. You have to pull the dash to replace it. It's between the fresh air intake underneath the cowl and the blower motor box. Mine leaks when I park nose uphill in a rain storm also.

You don't need to replace the gasket, or pull the dash. You can remove the nuts and blower from the engine compartment, smear some silicone/RTV on the gasket and button it back up.

RustStang78 I see that you are chasing water intrusion on several different topics, another to consider is the antenna cable. It can leak at its intrusion and cause mysterious water intrusion.

Back