• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Superflex arms and drop brackets...the source of my front end noise?

SanDiegoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running RE Drop Brackets, RE Superflex Fixed LCAs, and RE Superflex Adjustable UCAs...

So to cut to the chase, my basic question is do any or all of the items cause rattling over washboard roads? My first suspect was a noticeable gap between the brace and the unibody rail, but I don't see a way to adjust that without grinding downt he front upper portion of the brace...not something I was too all fired up about doing. I don't however, see any wear marks where the brace or drop bracket appear to be rubbing so I assume thats not it. My next suspect was the trackbar, but I've cranked the hell out of it and something is still rattling....I haven't been fortunate to find a second set of hands so I can lay under the Jeep while they muss with the steering....but the popping doesn't seem to happen when turning so much as just washboard or articulation..

And I realize many are thinking how much can you articulate pulling into a parking lot....well, without shocks the bouncing can create an "E Ticket" ride doing some of the most minor things.

And yes, I realize its unsafe to be riding like this, but its a temporary situation that shall be remedied this afternoon...but as I said, once the shocks came off it became a lot more noticeable so I was hoping to resolve the issue while its still at its worst.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx a bunch!

Michael

Last edited:
NO.

Running drop brackets and RE Superflex arms (pretty much the re 5.5 short arm kit) and I don't have any problems with rattling on washboards, etc.

I had a problem with a "rattling" noise on bumps, and noticed it was a loose shock. The rubber bushing at the top shock mount kept getting shredded. If you took the shocks out though, maybe not the case?

I have a similar space between the frame rail and the drop bracket as you decribe, so that should be OK.

The only problem I had with my drop brackets, is I broke one of my alignment shoes. This allowed the LCA to move around a bit, even though it was cranked tight. I got some noises out of that.

I would say, make sure all your bushings and heim joints are good. And as you said, the track bar is often the cause of noise, even though it feels tight. Make sure all your mounting holes on everything are round, and not ovalized from something moving.

It could seriously be any number of things being loose, so you might want to go over EVERYTHING on the front end with a fine tooth comb.

I have knocks, pops, squeaks, jiggles, thuds, grinding, screams, oozing, thumps, and growls coming from the front end.

I have the ED RE with drop brackets and adjustable CA's.

I found one of my pops to be a adjusting nut on the control arm not cranked down nice and tight. And it was actually on the uppers like you have. The threads have enough play in them to jiggle and thud.

I'm also thinking maybe my super-flex joints are going bad. Even though they show no movement in a hand test, the forces of driving might make them have some play.

I have all kinds of clunking in my front end. I have the same RE SF 5.5 kit. I am in the process of trying to find Poly replacements for the the rubber bushings.

Mkae sure its not your coil spring retainers, those little suckers will rattle like rocks in a can when loose.

Also check that the bolt hole at the axle end of your trackbar isn't getting torn up and out of shape. Washboard roads will really accent that if it is, as its constant pressure back and forth against that.

Pull the trackbar off entirely, and look at the hole. The back half of the bracket - of course the hardest part to see - is usually the one that goes.

cal said:
Also check that the bolt hole at the axle end of your trackbar isn't getting torn up and out of shape. Washboard roads will really accent that if it is, as its constant pressure back and forth against that.

Pull the trackbar off entirely, and look at the hole. The back half of the bracket - of course the hardest part to see - is usually the one that goes.
I know mine is shot. What is an economical fix?

if you have bar pin swaybar quick deisconects, its most likely those. I have them on my jeep and they drive me nuts. I just drive without either front or rear hooked up and i hardly notice any difference (except for some body roll on tight corners).

CTORT said:
I know mine is shot. What is an economical fix?

Some people drill a new hole half an inch or so over, others weld a really heavy thick washer in place.

Ditto... I think I have the very same thing going on with my 00XJ 5" RE with adjustables + drop brackets\braces.

I'm down in Mission Valley. Lets get together and fix both of them in half of the time!

George T.

I had creaking on my 5.5 RE lift. Turns out the two bolts that go through the frame for the HD trackbar bracket loosened up. I'm going to keep an eye on those now. Just a creaking when you turned the wheel.

Back