• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust mounting: how far below floorboards?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, just got a new magnaflow cat and muffler. My stock exhaust fell off due to rust. I just ran 4 grade 8 bolts through the floorboards and bolted the old cat/muffler tight against the floor. That worked ok (probably because the cat was shot).
Now I'm wondering how far down it should be. I'd like to keep up as high as possible for ground clearance/ease of mounting. Can I just put the heatshield side up and bolt it tight or does there need to be an airspace?

Thanks

I cant tell you how much space to leave, but id say atleast 2 inches. a rock mashed pushed my exhaust up against the floorboard and ive melted a few things around it before i noticed what was going on

There needs to be airspace... several inches at least. I think I have 2-3 inches and a heat shield.

If you are going to do that make sure it is actually hanging from rubber hangers. I also would suggest some heat sheilds and at least 1-2 inches (in my opinion), otherwise your floor board will be nice and toasty, could even catch your carpet on fire, but that can be far fetch.
At least do the rubber hangers, unless you like a nice rattle and possible cracking.

Thanks for the replies. That'll be a little harder to do without welding, but at least it'll be done right. Then I've got to figure out a way to keep thieves from sawzalling the cat out.

Leave the XJ running, it'll stay hot enough they can't touch it.

Or isolate your exhaust system from the frame pretty well and connect an electric fence transformer to it.

Leave the XJ running, it'll stay hot enough they can't touch it.

Or isolate your exhaust system from the frame pretty well and connect an electric fence transformer to it.

:roflmao:
Seriously though, anybody take any precautions against cat theft? I'm thinking of riveting some expanded sheet or something over it...

Oh yeah, especially in big cities. It's on the rise because people are poor and precious metals are up. They'll show up with a cordless sawzall and rip apart the exhaust in a couple minutes. Then they get about $40 for scrap. There are a couple companies making devices to help protect it, but they're like $150. I'd like to put in something to at least discourage/slow them down.

They like Jeeps and SUV's because of the ground clearance.

t-case skid, depending on the skid and design, a lot of them cover a portion of the cat.

That would be quite an interesting start up the next morning before work. Roooarararar!!!! WTF?!

I have mine pretty close to the floorboard but I have some header wrap laid out over the top of my muffler and cat and some pieces of multi layer cookie sheet worm drive clamped over the top of that. I have not had any heat issues that way. Before my current configuration I caught my carpet almost on fire because of the heat.

Oh yeah, especially in big cities. It's on the rise because people are poor and precious metals are up. They'll show up with a cordless sawzall and rip apart the exhaust in a couple minutes. Then they get about $40 for scrap. There are a couple companies making devices to help protect it, but they're like $150. I'd like to put in something to at least discourage/slow them down.

They like Jeeps and SUV's because of the ground clearance.
We have alot of this happening in our city. Couple of fat mexican dudes in a van. Those bastards have been seen but not caught yet. They remove the cat with one of those chain style cutters with the cutting rollers in them. Quiet and fast.

Back