• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this retarded? or could it possibly work?

jeepintexas

NAXJA Forum User
i just replaced my stock shackles with aftermarket lift shackles. i got to thinking if linking two of them together could possibly work as something similar to a "revolver" type shackle. i grinded down the ferrules (i think they're called) so they'd fit without them having tension. i'm tempted to try this out on another jeep xj that i have, but if this is a guaranteed fail i'd rather not even waste my time.

0_1.jpg

Not a good idea.

i dont see what could go wrong, besides the shackles "inverting". if you were to try it out, id add a stop on the back side.

Yes, please don't. As Techno1154 posted, Curbdog kept going on and on about it, we kept telling him it was a bad idea and it would fail. He was stubborn and wouldn't listen, and then they failed on him.

As already mentioned,you need to add stops.I built these about 9yrs ago.
027_24.JPG

028_25.JPG

You do know that once the shackles start seperating then that means there is no weight on the tire so you really not gaining anything by doing this. No increase in stablity or usable flex. Increase in a bunch of weird noises and axle wrap. But other then that, yeah it will work.

You do not increase height, but you would increase down travel. Why do you think they make REVOLVER shackles.. which is the same principal.

Build and install those and go run Moab Rim trail. I dare you.
You just want to see him get caught in that crack half way up,...

You nasty.

I was thinking how fun the sidehill above the cliff band would be with uncontrolled body lean. There're a lot of places around Moab where a revolver style shackle can be hazardous to your sheetmetal.

I would say this is more of a "prerunner"/Jeepspeed type of thing, where the travel helps.

You do not increase height, but you would increase down travel. Why do you think they make REVOLVER shackles.. which is the same principal.

I would say this is more of a "prerunner"/Jeepspeed type of thing, where the travel helps.

Yes the axle will drop down but there is no weight on it at that point. All you have is a axle dangling down that can twist a whole lot more under torque.

Yeah something better suited for go fast. But i still dont see to many guys run them.

Actually you can make then any height(depending on what shackles you use).Even using stock XJ's you can add a least an 1".

Back