• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gauges

az4wheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I have recently added a digital oil pressure gauge and very soon doing the same for a trans temp in the dual a-piller pod that I have, question is I want to do the same for volts and temp but my concern is if that I by-pass the temp gauge the computer will think there is a fault and it will never get into closed loop operation and or the check engine light will come on. has anyone done this? does anyone think this can be done? or should I just give up this train of thought and stick to just a trans temp gauge?

01 cherokee sport

why would you bypass the gauge? Wire in your system seperately and use the stock as a final warning. You new gauge should be way more accurate, but keeping the OEM gauge will activate the light on the dash cluster and the computer will take control if the OEM gauge reading is too high and will keep things from getting out of line. I would not bypass the stock gauge setup....not an expert just throwing in my 2 cents.

The 4.0 has 2 separate coolant sensors. The one located near the thermostat is for the computer. The one that works the factory gauge is located on the driver's side to the rear of the valve cover. Disconnecting the rear sensor should not affect the computer at all. It should run fine.

You don't "piggyback" the new gauge and sender onto the stock system- the new gauge is a separate system. There are adapters to put a sender in the hoses, some folks drill and tap the T stat housing for another sender, and then Hesco makes a T stat housing with 2 ports- one for the stock sender, and another for a temp switch or sender.

http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=details&inventoryID=133254&catId=7882

The 4.0 has 2 separate coolant sensors. The one located near the thermostat is for the computer. The one that works the factory gauge is located on the driver's side to the rear of the valve cover. Disconnecting the rear sensor should not affect the computer at all. It should run fine.

Not on an 01- single sender in the T stat housing.

Back