• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible head cracked on a 2000

bclava730

NAXJA Forum User
I've done a lot of reading about the 0331 head that was put on 2000 and 01 Jeeps. Well i have a 2000 and recently I've had to add coolant to the reservoir to keep it full. The oil looks good on the dipstick, but today when I took the oil cap off, it looked a bit of milky white, so thats not a good sign, the oil pressure seems to be normal, 50 on the highway and 19-20 or so while idling after warmed up. Are there any ways for sure to find out if the head is cracked? Any help would be appreciated

I've got the same issue, here's what to do.

Pull the valve cover and look for obvious cracks, I've been told the area between number 3 and 4 cylinder is where it happens the most.

Do a compression test, your looking for balanced readings. If two cylinders ajacent to each other read lowere than the rest I could be a head gasget. Or something else.

If a cylinder reads low, pour a couple of tablespoons of oil in the spark plug port and repeat test. If the pressure climbs its most likley rings.

Do a cylinder leak down test. This will tell you if it's holding pressure or not. If its not holding pressure you can usually tell where the air is going, that will point you in the right direction.

Do a pressure test of the coolant system. You can usually find where the coollant is going, if it leaks at all. If you can't find a puddle or escaping coollant someplace it's most likely internal.

Have your oil tested, results will confirm or deny possible coolant in oil.

So, in order of importance.

1 -Have oil tested just before oil change. The sample will have a good opportunity to become contaminated.

2 -Do a system pressure test, with the valve cover off, just to maske sure you can see if it's coming out of a crack

3 - Compression test

4 -Cylinder leak down test

Are there any ways for sure to find out if the head is cracked? Any help would be appreciated

If you're on the front end of a cracked head, your engine bearings might be okay and that is why your oil pressure readings are still okay.

But not for long though if coolant is getting into your oil.

Pull your valve cover. With a good light, perform a careful inspection of the area between cylinders 3-4. That is where 99.99% of them fail; there is a known casting flaw right in that area.

Start there.

you have the symptoms of the head cracked..... replace the head before it gets your bearings!
Your oil may not show milky for a while but pull your valve cover and you will see.
The replacement heads are on ebay..search 0331 head.

Using coolant, milky oil cap, 0331 head = cracked head. Mines been cracked for while (don't bother telling me, I know it's stupid) and my oil pressure is always great (even a little high).

Using coolant, milky oil cap, 0331 head = cracked head. Mines been cracked for while (don't bother telling me, I know it's stupid) and my oil pressure is always great (even a little high).

It wont be for long..... I let one go too long and it cost me a motor rebuild.

Back