• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DirecTV brand inner fenders

Gold Cobra

NAXJA Forum User
On my Comanche my tires rubbed the front part of the inner fender, so while opening up the inner fender for clearance for a larger tire, I decided to do something about that on this Jeep.

I took the fender off and took a look at what we have to work with:
IMG_0586.jpg

Then I cut and folded the pinch-seam, and cut a nice size hole in the inner fender. This is about as big as you wanna go, unless you plan on relocating the Computer.
IMG_0587.jpg

Then I found some free metal.
IMG_0590.jpg

It's got a custom dome shape to it for extra clearance. I then cut out a chunk to patch the hole.
IMG_0591.jpg

Then welded it in.
IMG_0593.jpg

With a light under the hood, I could see a few pinholes, so I just laid a bead of silicone on the inside, and painted the outside. (This was really my first time welding sheet-metal, so I had a few sins to hide.)

The finished product.
Before:
IMG_0585.jpg

After:
IMG_0592.jpg

Painted:
IMG_0594.jpg

I have a few extra dish's kicking around, thanks for the idea for free metal.

nicely done.

Thats friggen awesome! You have part of a satellite dish holding your XJ together! What would Howard Hughes say if he saw that!? :roflmao:

I really gotta get my ass in gear to cut and fold one of these days. Maybe next wkend...

Very nice though. Maybe I will have to do something like that with some of the sheet I have laying around depending on where I need the clearance.

Ha ha, awesome! love the ingenuity! I will be needing to do this soon, so i might have to look around the scrap yard...Thanks!

Got the passenger side done today.

In this picture you can see the battery tray in the hole I cut out.
IMG_0622.jpg

The patch I made.
IMG_0623.jpg

Welded in place.
IMG_0625.jpg

Here is a shot of what I did on the inside.
IMG_0624.jpg

Thanks to EricsXJ for the idea.

Back