• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is that bongo sound coming from under my XJ!?

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
Sounds like random, erratic bongo-playing coming from the rear-underside of my XJ as I roll slowly down the block. It's not consistent; not timed to wheel revolutions -- it's a random sound, but it's always there as I'm moving. I did a cursory look under there, gripped the shocks, driveshaft, and exhaust and ... nothing out of the ordinary.

Is this the death knell for my 8.25 C rear? WHAT IS THIS SOUND?!? :eek:

ive been getting a snapple cap type sound from my rear shock mounts... and i recently took out my carpet and all that, theres definate distortion in the sheet metal, and theres a basketball sized area that snapple cap's.... i have something similar in my roof as well.

and yes, im properly bumped out back.

How do your upper shock bar pins look? I had a shock bushing slide out of the shock eye and "float" on the bar pin and it made that kind of noise. easy fix, but had to replace the shock bushing. $5

Check your exhaust and shocks. Look for broken exhaust hangars and bagged-out shock bushings.

Either it's one of those, or someone really hates you and took the time to put a couple billiard balls in your gas tank :roflmao:

Check your exhaust and shocks. Look for broken exhaust hangars and bagged-out shock bushings.

Either it's one of those, or someone really hates you and took the time to put a couple billiard balls in your gas tank :roflmao:

Well, I just checked out the shocks/mounts; the exhaust, sway bar and links ...so I'm looking into the billiard ball theory.:D

(I did bang on the gas tank and checked the straps. All good.)

EDIT: The more I think about it, it really DOES sound like floating billiard balls knocking into the (plastic?) tank...

Back