• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rubber freeze plug

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
freeze plug on head.
the head that iput on my stroker blew the freeze cap.
it was a rubber piece that had a bolt thru it.
what exactly is that called?
what causes it to blow it?

makes me think of a block heater piece... common up here but normally have a AC plug attached as opposed to a bolt.

pics?

I think that is a rubber expansion plug. Its meant as more of a short term fix for a leaky freeze plug. Over time it will get eaten away and eventual blow.

Sounds like a temporary patch piece instead of a real freeze plug. Probably why it blew. They are called freeze plugs, but actually the holes are made in the castings to get the core sand out before machining. They don't do anything for the freezing issue. It should be sealed with a steel (or if you can find brass upgrade) freeze plug like they come with from the factory.

I never had good luck with those temporary "freeze" plugs. Put one in my 69 Mach 1 years ago and the following day nailed it getting on the freeway. The dang thing blew out and hit a guy on a motorcycle.

i ran one on my old 2.3L ministock, and i never had any problems, just dont use any sealer, and make sure its tight and in all the way

i ran one on my old 2.3L ministock, and i never had any problems, just dont use any sealer, and make sure its tight and in all the way

x2. I have one or two in mine still. I'm thinking 3 years now... :wierd:

The best thing is to install a proper metal plug back in there. The expanding rubber ones will likely not be raliable and may impede water flow in the jacket on the block.

Back