• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 ignition wire color help

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where I can find the wires to the ignition? Which color and where it's located? I need to tap into the ignition switch/wire to wire up a relay for my delay timer. It's a 2001.

Thanks

Mudswiring002.jpg

Last edited:
On a 2000 the "run" wire is BK/OR and it goes from the key switch to the junction block at the pass. kick panel.

There's lots of places you can tap into an ignition switched wire. Let me know where it would be most convenient (specific location in the interior or engine compartment) and I'll let you know what your closest option is. My FSM is for the '99, but so far the wire colors seem to be the same.

Also, I don't know if you drew up that diagram or if you got it from somewhere, but I think you may want to revise it. I seem to recall your other thread mentioning the timer was not rated for much amperage. The way you have it wired, the timer will be handling the full current draw of the fan. You should use the timer to control a relay that supplies power to the fan. If you can tell me whether or not that timer can be activated by removing a 12V+ from the trigger input, I can draw you up a quick diagram for how I'd suggest wiring it.

Last edited:
There's lots of places you can tap into an ignition switched wire. Let me know where it would be most convenient (specific location in the interior or engine compartment) and I'll let you know what your closest option is. My FSM is for the '99, but so far the wire colors seem to be the same.

Also, I don't know if you drew up that diagram or if you got it from somewhere, but I think you may want to revise it. I seem to recall your other thread mentioning the timer was not rated for much amperage. The way you have it wired, the timer will be handling the full current draw of the fan. You should use the timer to control a relay that supplies power to the fan. If you can tell me whether or not that timer can be activated by removing a 12V+ from the trigger input, I can draw you up a quick diagram for how I'd suggest wiring it.

I'm planning to wire this up behind the battery next to the PDC. If there's any wires around there (i'm sure there is) let me know. Thanks!

A friend in another forum came up with that plan. I don't think he was familiar with the timer rating.

Here's the info on the timer:
http://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-960.htm
http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/960_sales_sheet.pdf

email from tech guy:

[FONT=&quot]Good afternoon Chris,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The ELK-960 POS and NEG will need to be connected to a Constant 12 V from the vehicle and you will need a positive or negative trigger to let the ELK-960 know the vehicle is running --- Please try the following jumper settings:[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]POS of the ELK-960 to constant +12VDC[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]NEG of the ELK-960 to the negative of the source[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]JP1 – MIN[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]JP2 – 1-Shot[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]JP3 - Begin[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]JP4 – “A”[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]JP5 – “+” OR “-“ depending on the trigger when the vehicle is running[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Connect from the +12VDC of the constant source to COM on the ELK-960[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Connect the + of the electric fans to the N/O on the ELK-960[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Connect the – of the electric fans to the negative of the source[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When the vehicle is started a trigger should be sent to the ELK-960 which will cause the relay to turn ON. When the vehicle is turned OFF the trigger should be removed from the ELK-960 at which time the timing will start ---- 2 minutes later the relay should turn OFF. Please make sure the current draw of the electric fans does not exceed the contact rating of the ELK-960 up to 28 VDC at 7Amps.[/FONT]

Please let me know if you got a better way to wire it up. I appreciate your help!

Thanks

Looking at the timer, I don't think it will last very long in the engine bay.

Alrighty inside it is. I'll mount it somewhere out of harm's way....

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll now go back to the main misfire fix thread. :laugh2:

:wave1:

I'm planning to wire this up behind the battery next to the PDC. If there's any wires around there (i'm sure there is) let me know. Thanks!

A friend in another forum came up with that plan. I don't think he was familiar with the timer rating.

Here's the info on the timer:
http://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-960.htm
http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/960_sales_sheet.pdf

email from tech guy:

Please let me know if you got a better way to wire it up. I appreciate your help!

Thanks

I'll work on a diagram and post it up in the "How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?" thread. While your friend's diagram would have worked if the timer had an amp rating that was high enough to handle the fan load, it's really kind of a waste of a relay to have it wired up like that. Seing as the timer has a relay built into it, there's no reason to have the ignition switch activate a relay to activate the relay on the timer. The timer only draws 40 mA. I'll try to draw it up tonight...

I'll work on a diagram and post it up in the "How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?" thread. While your friend's diagram would have worked if the timer had an amp rating that was high enough to handle the fan load, it's really kind of a waste of a relay to have it wired up like that. Seing as the timer has a relay built into it, there's no reason to have the ignition switch activate a relay to activate the relay on the timer. The timer only draws 40 mA. I'll try to draw it up tonight...

Cool thanks. I'll wait to see what you come up with.

Back