• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to bend tube, without bender

Apostle

NAXJA Forum User
Cant post in the fabrication area, so posting here

i have some 1 - 1.5" OD tube that i need to bend (two bends).

its already formed, but need to add the extra bends. how is the best way to do this if i dont have a bender.

i read about heating it up, but all i have is a propane torch (for plumbing) and a small bench mounted vise.

The best way is to buy a six pack for a buddy with a bender. Old school method was to tightly pack the tube with sand, heat the outside of the radius, then bend it around something large and stable like a fence post. A six pack is much better and cheaper.

you could always use the heat method and clamp a brake rotor or drum to the table depending on what radius you need and bend around that

Or spend the 40$ at home depot to buy one, or spend half that to rent one for an hour.
I tried to bend 2 90s in a 1.5 inch pipe. It folded and I had to buy another pipe.

What's the wall thickness? How much bend do you need?

Chances are it will kink without a good bender.

you could always use the heat method and clamp a brake rotor or drum to the table depending on what radius you need and bend around that

May go with that. have some stuff i could set up a die

Or spend the 40$ at home depot to buy one, or spend half that to rent one for an hour.
I tried to bend 2 90s in a 1.5 inch pipe. It folded and I had to buy another pipe.

It's not pipe, it's tube. that bender wont work

You could try filling it with sand.

ends are capped already

What's the wall thickness? How much bend do you need?

Chances are it will kink without a good bender.

Not sure, its already capped. need a 90

Conduit bender... I don't think they sell 1.5" sizes though.

as above, not conduit (have a conduit bender) it wont work

Think i may cut the tube, then get a piece of straight steel rod, heat that up and bend it, then fit and weld the rod into the tube

Brian, why not PM Frank Z and see if he'd be willing to bend it for ya? Toss him a couple bucks for his time. Not sure if he's got a 1 1/2" die, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Back