• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WHINE

tangoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
1995 Cherokee 2 door, 5 speed, 32x11.50, 4x4, and I have some major whine/grinding coming from the center to rear or the jeep underload in every gear. Anyone have any other methods to narrow it down as to what it might be?

Fairly certain it is the pinion bearings, as mine has been doing that and I found at least a 1/4" play in the bearings when I took out the carrier.

Transfer case or rear diff would be first guesses. Do you have a slip-yoke eliminator? If so, remove the rear driveshaft and take it for a spin in 4wd (in essence, front wheel drive), and also run thru the gears in 2wd (obviously not moving, since no rear driveshaft). That will partly help to determine if it's further up the driveline (t-case or tranny), or rear diff. If the sound is not present, it's *probably* the rear diff. I say probably, because some gremlins only come out to play when parts are under load, which the tranny and t-case would not be with the rear driveshaft disconnected(tranny problems will still surface in the scenario, where transfer case issues may not if it's specifically from the rear output).

How many miles are on the rig? Have you had any gearing changed or lockers/lsd installed recently?

Back