• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose pipe on 4.0?

vwrobc

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
Can anyone tell what the pipe circled in red connects to near the arrow? It isn't connected at all on my '90 XJ. What effect could that be having on how it runs?

Thanks,
Rob

LoosepipeonXJEngine.jpg

Last edited:
supposed to be connect to the back of the airbox that you don't have... So it should be connected into the air line after the filter same with the little J shaped line just under the air filter

Hey flyingbrick! Thanks for the quick reply.

That's not my engine, btw - I cribbed it online because it had the same 90deg elbow before the pipe I referred to. The pics I saw of that pipe heading straight to the air box did not have the elbow. Mine has the airbox fitted and the J shaped line does go into it.

I've noticed not all of the engines have that plastic 'junction' to the left of the elbow too. Is it dependent on year or something?

Ah, ok. That makes sense. I'm totally new to Jeeps.. just trying to soak up as much info as possible!

Flying brick, you are correct.
My 96 has none of that.

Holy heat soak batman! That filter pull air straight FROM THAT HEADER!? Lmao

no puddle hopping in that eh?

That is a picture of a RENIX ('90 and older) engine compartment. I think the newer HO engines did not have the same vacuum system.

Renix was CCV, HO was PCV.
the renix system is tempermental, and when it reverses itself it dumps oil out of the line into the airbox. Usually a good cleaning of all the orifices fixes it, unless your 4.0 just has seriuos blowby.

I've noticed not all of the engines have that plastic 'junction' to the left of the elbow too. Is it dependent on year or something?

the plastic junction is a connector. two piece assembly, the lines go out one side are attached so they wont come off (glued in), same with the other side.

needed to replace my ccv valve on the front and what i received was 1/2 of that junction, the line going to the ccv and two small J shaped lines that go right around, as an assembly

the plastic junction is a connector. two piece assembly, the lines go out one side are attached so they wont come off (glued in), same with the other side.

needed to replace my ccv valve on the front and what i received was 1/2 of that junction, the line going to the ccv and two small J shaped lines that go right around, as an assembly
mine was all cracked and what not. You can do away with the junction, just run one piece of hose the whole lenght, and use some wire ties to secure it to the junction mount.

Back