• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC swap around...a little insight please...

hghgrad

NAXJA Forum User
I've got 2 XJ's, an 89 and a 97. I've decided to strip what I can from the 89 and swap it to the 97 as it's just a nicer vehicle all around.

The question I have, can I take the TC from the 89 (4.0 ax15 swapped) to the 97 (4.0 AW4)? The 89 has a JB SYE, and I'd really like to have that on the 97 instead.

Would it be easier to just swap the tail shafts around? I don't know that I want to tear them both down as I'll need one to get around with...and I'd hate to mess them both up.

I'm a capable mechanic, with proper tools...but I'm still pretty new to Jeeps.

Well.. In 89, stock manual trans would be the horrible peugot ba10/5 with 21 spline output shaft. If it has an ax-15 (would have been swapped) it could either be 21-or 23-spline. If it is 23-spline then it can be bolted into your newer XJ. I believe the tail housing of the t-case would need to be swapped due to the different speed sensor?

So it looks like I'll have to pull them apart and do a tail shaft swap. If I decide to get rid of the 89, I really don't want to give the JB sye away with it.

Well.. In 89, stock manual trans would be the horrible peugot ba10/5 with 21 spline output shaft. If it has an ax-15 (would have been swapped) it could either be 21-or 23-spline. If it is 23-spline then it can be bolted into your newer XJ. I believe the tail housing of the t-case would need to be swapped due to the different speed sensor?

the ax-15 was introduced in 1989 1/2. so some 89 came stock with them stock.

correct about the tailhousing but im not sure if there ever was a 21 spline ax-15

It was swapped in, originally a ba5.

I might just take the h&t route and leave the 89 alone. With my luck, I'll end up breaking some bolts and end up with two non running vehicles :)

Back