• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mojo - V2.1

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
I keep getting asked... What are you working on ? So here's the story -

The jeeps getting a slight overhall. Planning an Exo Cage, which includes rocker replacements and some major weight loss to help compensate the weight gain from the tubing. Also replacing my worn out 33's finally. I'll add some updates as I go along.

here's what i've accomplished so far -

Roof rack and all the rails are removed
downsize_1.jpg

Sliders removed and ready for the cut out replacements
downsize_2.jpg

Started removing the interior this weekend also. While i was busy replacing the center pins on the rear leaf springs, I let my youngest daughter loose with a screw driver. I was amazed at how far she got on her own.
downsize5.jpg

downsize_3.jpg

Also was pleasantly surprised at how clean and rust free the rear deck was after the carpet was pulled.
downsize_4.jpg

I'll update more when I make a lil more progress...

icon10.gif

Amazing what can happen when you give a kid a screwdriver and a task!!! Whatcha doin w/the old sliders?:wave1:

Planning an Exo Cage, which includes rocker replacements and some major weight loss to help compensate the weight gain from the tubing.
downsize_2.jpg

Normally people go with an Exo because they have this belief (ya right :lecture:) that it will protect the body in the case of a roll over. In your case I assume from the photo that you are more concerned with protecting the stickers, correct? :D

Good choice on the replacements. Can I recommend you also consider cutting out the bottom of the doors at the same time and building "mini boatsides".

Michael

Normally people go with an Exo because they have this belief (ya right :lecture:) that it will protect the body in the case of a roll over. In your case I assume from the photo that you are more concerned with protecting the stickers, correct? :D

Good choice on the replacements. Can I recommend you also consider cutting out the bottom of the doors at the same time and building "mini boatsides".

Michael

My ultimate goal here is -
A. personal protection for me and the kids (seats and harnesses are also in the works)
B. protect my investment - I (knock on wood) don't have any cracks in the unibody yet, or any other major structural damage as of yet. so tieing everything together for strength and longevity is now or never IMO. (I know it is not bullet proof)
C. protect as many stickers as possible !!

the boat sides are actually on the drawing board already :D. We are looking at plating the frame as much as possible before hand and doing boatsides is not much more work... we have been discussing cutting the doors / ditching the doors all together... so we'll see where it ends up.

Nice to see you got some work done after Erin & I left. Bet your pretty excited, sounds like your going to be doing alot of cool stuff. Have yet to see a XJ in person with boat sides. Can I hire your daughter to work on my Jeep? Maybe she can teach my girlfriend!

Sounds like you have your priorities right. Since your doing seats and harnesses are you doing a inside roll bar/shoulder bar behind the front seats and or rear seat?

looking forward to seeing the outcome.
Michael

I can build you mini cages for each of your stickers if you like. :)

Can't wait to see the finished work, Rod.

Update-

finished ripping out the headliner this weekend. nothing to spectacular.
rockers.jpg

Monday, Karl helped me cut out the rockers and welded in some chunks of 2X6 3/16. We cut as high as possible, which meant a lil fab on the doors was needed.
rockers4.jpg

rockers1.jpg

rockers2.jpg

This also changed my thoughts on the boatsides / mini boatsides. We'll see where it ends up. I wont be reinforcing / bracing them untill the cage work begins.

didnt get any finished pictures. I was grinding the doors as fast as i could in order to make it to work on time. I'll take some more this weekend along with the door mods as well.

Back