• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hella 500FF VS. 700FF

M4Madness

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any difference between the Hella 500FF and Hella 700FF lights other than size, or does the 700FF offer a higher output? Why doesn't the Hella website list candlepower ratings like KC does?

I've been looking at various models of Hella and KC lights online the last week or so. I'm wanting a pair to mount on the lean forward hoop of my JCR Offroad front bumper, which already has light tabs. The KC's I've been looking at are the long-range driving lights. I want something that will reach out far. KC actually lists the candlepower rating of each light they offer.

Any idea what candlepower ratings the Hella lights have? Can they be mounted upside down inside the hoop, or must I mount them upright on top of it?

Hella 500's will be just fine for a long range light. If you want really long do what the JS guys do and Run Hella 4000's in the pencil beam pattern! :D As for mounting I would mount them upside down because it would drive me nuts if the lights stuck up over the hood! Darky said he needed to add 3 washers on each light to clear the bar. AFAIK they are both 55w but the 700's are bigger.

Yeah, they're both 55-watt. If the only difference is the size of the housing, I'd prefer the smaller 500FF's. The one detrimental aspect of mounting them upside down is that the covers and rock shields would have the emblems upside down when mounted, as it appears that they only fit one way.

Size is the only difference, Hella claims that because the 700 is bigger it has better light output, which can be argued.

I have some 700FFs and I like them, I get lots of compliments on my "really big lights" :D

theres downsides to mounting them upside down... any 'driving pattern' lights are designed to be mounted a specific way, pencil beams should be OK. it also looks booty imho.

on the 500's, you can rotate the lens, so it stays right, not sure about the 700's.

Also the holes at the bottom, so SHOULD it get water in it, it wont weep out. this shouldnt be an issue, but i live in socal, we dont have deep water, so it's pure theory.

Back