• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

85 4.0 swap questions

85blaxj

NAXJA Forum User
im putting a 4.0 from a renix jeep into my 85 and was wondering could i put the radiatior in the back behind the seat? i had a mr2 that had the radiatior in the front engine in back and it always stayed cool
or what if i put the stock 2.8l radiator back in would it keep it cool enough? heres my heep
0310001654.jpg

I would think that you're asking for nightmares. I'm not too sure a 4.0 will physically fit between the core support and firewall of an 85. Secondly I bet a stock waterpump would have trouble pumping water that far and high. I may be wrong on both points I've never tried either. How about a 4.3 v6 instead? It would make more power and the aftermarket is incredible for them since they are basically 350's with 6 holes. It would definately fit better...

ive heard i can just bang in the firewall for it to fit do you know where it hits? i got the 4.0 already and ready to go in so im not going with anything else

im putting tranny and transfer case in tomorrow hopefully and i have to rent a engine hoist or drop the front end again to get the motor in

I've done it. Bashing with a hammer won't even get you close. I had to find a donor 4.0 body and cut out a huge section of firewall and splice it in. Go find a 3.1 or 3.4 and bolt it in using the 2.8 mounts.

i have a 4.0 parts car how much of the firewall did you use i got the tranny in but found out i need to redrill trans mount holes 3" back and have to cut firewall

I strongly suggest you sell that 85' and get at least a 87' 4.0L...if not a 91' 4.0L. You might even be able to trade straight up with someone on craigslist.com who doesn't know the difference 6 cylinder for 6 cylinder! :dunce:
That would be pretty mean though! :eek:
Troy

Have you switched out the wiring harnesses yet? Is your 4.0L fuel injected? What all on the wiring harness did you have to switch out? Any wiring from in the cab need to be switched? Also, did u have to switch the fuel pumps and lines? I am doing the same swap of a 4.0L into an 86 wagoneer with the 2.8 and have already completed the swap. you can get the radiator in the front you just need to take a sawzall and cut the front sheet metal around the radiator supports then just stick it in there and it will be very snug if you take your time and only remove what you need too, then just secure it in place with some zip ties.

Back